Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hello all.
Owner of 1962 4 door, chassis No ma-53-d/957802.
I've been attempting to replace a boot lid seal as the original one (BMC, 1962) was badly perished and rain was leaking in.
The original seal was within the boot lid per se and not on the bodywork.
I called DSN moggie spares and was advised to purchase part No Bttoo8h-sponge type seal.
This seal measures just under 2 centimetres by half a centimetre.
After fitting, I found that the boot would not shut..............I was aware that there would be some stiffness immediately after fitting but what I've encountered is much more than that! The seal is approx half a centimetre into overlap.
I've checked the receipt from DSN and found I've been supplied with a "March 1959" type
with a chassis No given as 705329.
Further the seal I have doesn't look "spongy" -rather it's solid rubber.
Is the "sponge type" seal actually sponge material?
Has anyone any insight into my problem?
I'd like to know any data before I call DSN tomorrow.
Thanks for reading my posting-and for help in ages past.[ This Message was edited by: sloopjohnrb on 04-06-2002 23:09 ]
olonas

Post by olonas »

My 1962 saloon (chassis 952363) has a rubber seal fitted to car body, not the "sponge" seal fitted to boot lid. I think the rubber seal is correct for your car, this type were introduced to combat leaks into boot. [ This Message was edited by: olonas on 04-06-2002 21:30 ]
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Dear Olanas., Thanks for your reply-I've edited my first posting I'm now aware I did not explain enough detail.
I should have mentioned that the original seal was indeed within the boot lid itself and not on the car body.
Does this provide any illumination?
James Goodwill

Post by James Goodwill »

I've had the same problem with my 1963 2-door saloon. The boot wouldn't shut after the new spongy seal was in place, even with full adjustment of the catch.

Solution... The boot locking mechanism is fixed to the underside of the boot lid with four screws. Undo these, and pack with four washers, and refit. This moves the lock, allowing it to catch... on the catch.

I actually packed mine with eight washers (two per screw). But after a couple of weeks of having the boot shut, I could reduce the packing to one.

I suppose eventually I'll be able to remove all the packing washers.

Regards,

James G.
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

I think that 'olonas' is correct,the later
cars had a thinnish rubber boot seal fitted
to the car not the boot lid
Willie