Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
daveallgood
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

chassis guarantee

Post by daveallgood »

I've just seen a saloon for sale which was bought from Charles Ware in April '09, with a three year chassis guarantee. The advert states that the guarantee expires when the car is sold, unless Mr Ware agrees with the new owner to let it run for the remainder of the three years. I'm not thinking of buying the car but it sounds like a curious arrangement -- doesn't it ?
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: chassis guarantee

Post by Blaketon »

Not really :wink: . Having said that, I suspect that the "Guarantee" was only part of the contact between Wares and the person to whom they sold the car.
iwsmithy
Minor Friendly

Post by iwsmithy »

I'm just rebuilding a car restored by this company.

My air chisel has been cutting out loads of oversills, and my welder has been very busy.

It probably takes 4 years to rot through internally untreated steel - hence the time limit.

Iwsmithy.
[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/1-picture1.jpg[/img][img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/7-picture6.jpg?0.448427297884753[/img]
IWsmithy.
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Before you go ahead with the purchase it might be a good idea to do some homework http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... yer+beware.
Buying a car is always a ballancing act. When you buy a cheap unrestored Minor (or bodged) like mine you dont pay top money and expect to make your welder earn its keep. But if you buy a 'restored' car then its a different matter.
Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

iwsmithy wrote:I'm just rebuilding a car restored by this company.

My air chisel has been cutting out loads of oversills, and my welder has been very busy.

It probably takes 4 years to rot through internally untreated steel - hence the time limit.

Iwsmithy.
Yes, I too have cut bodged repair panels, poorly welded in by an associate of a "certain company" of which the rules of this forum do not allow me to mention! Yes, oversill, yes, untreated bare metal inside the box section rusting away, funnily enough, just outside the guarantee period.
There are some really good restorers in the UK but also a few dodgy ones!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Whilst not wishing to defend untreated box sections, I think we should all treat them (Annually if the car is in regular use) ourselves, as part of routine maintenance. That would not necessarily validate a “Guarantee”, as it will probably be dependant upon an annual inspection.

My one and only brand new car was a Mini, back in 1987. That had a 5 or 6 year manufacturers corrosion warranty, which was dependant on an annual inspection at the dealer (Which was chargeable). I took it to the first inspection and saw it was a waste of time (About as much good as the warranty). I therefore Waxoyled it annually myself and I have continued to do so with subsequent cars. The ones that get only Summer use (When its dry!!) may not get done annually but they still get done from time to time.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Waxoyl, lovely stuff, works a treat BUT it drips out of my trav all through the hot summers here!
BTW this car then known as the Bert Brett Special was used in the waxoyl adverts in the 1970s
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I know Bert Brett, though I haven't seen him for years!! After he gave up with Minors, he bacame a cyclist. Any chance you could post a picture. How long have you owned it?

Waxoyl certainly does drip out, as does Dinitrol etc etc. I remember one hot day in 2006, when I took the Midget on an organised run, there were a few unplanned runs, as I had only recently done the car :oops: .
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Blaketon wrote:I know Bert Brett, though I haven't seen him for years!! After he gave up with Minors, he bacame a cyclist. Any chance you could post a picture. How long have you owned it?
I bought it in 1993 from Cyril Kieldsen (who bought it from Bert). I took the Sunday overnight coach up from here to London (pre-Ryanair days), collected it, drove down to Portsmouth for the overnight ferry and drove back in time for supper (about 470 miles from Le Havre)

OH replaced the woodwork in Autumn 2004 using Steve Foreman's kit, and we had it resprayed it at the same time.

It's a daily driver, Bert would have a fit if he saw the mud often in it now! I have dogs in the back and I tow a light motorbike trailer as part of the break-down team when Sir and his mates are on a run. When I last checked I'd done around 10,000 miles pa in it since I bought it, but that might have gone down a tad in the past year or two. I couldn't do that without those nice comfy Newton Commercial seats in the front, they make so much difference.
[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thats a great photo i have 2 labs 1 black and one choclate ,i have had some welding and mechanical work done by this componey and they have done an excellant job on my car.
[sig]5641[/sig]
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Well here's another lab'n'trav pic, October 2009
Swing, the hound on the left is the same black one as in the earlier pic, the other one is young Driver who's leaving us tomorrow (sniff :cry: ) to go into guide dog school
[frame]Image[/frame]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

they both look fantastic dogs i wish driver every sucess at being a quide dog
[sig]5641[/sig]
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Thanks!
Swing was a gd, but he threw a sickie, retired early and came back to us, he'd been our second puppy. He went on MOT 2002 to the Tarn Gorges.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Well, those pics had me looking envious! I like Lab's as much as I like Minors!
Hopefully we'll be getting a Lab this year, although I'll have to start saving up soon as they are rather expensive...
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(