Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pfgiz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Door Pulls

Post by pfgiz »

I have a bit of a question....

Last year I bought a couple of brand new door pulls for a main outlet. They looked the part and have been better than the old tatty ones I removed. I noticed this weekend however, that they are beginning to tear close to the chrome cover. They have had normal use over the year, I’ve not used them for towing or for tying down anything….

So my questions are… Is this the standard quality of brand new interior trim? Should I be looking for recompense or replacement or maybe making my own from some red leather I have laying around? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I’m up for making my own but I was hoping for a bit more than 12 months use out of a new set…..
Peter Gisby.

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I suppose they take a lot of abuse during normal use as when you pull the door shut you pull it on an awkward angle and not straight so they are bound to rip eventually, personally I always just pull on the base of the window frame since the pull once came away in my hand. Though agreed they should last longer than a year.

Were they leather or vinyl?
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Most trim is made by Newton Commercial and supplied both direct and via the normal traders. However, there is some cheaper stuff about. Good quality vinyl should last at least five years, so ask for replacement. For real longevity, pay a little bit more and get leather - it is worth it.
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

They are vinyl but even so should be good for more than a year. My whole interior should be vinyl as I have a Standard 1958 2 door saloon.
Peter Gisby.

pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

I've been looking for smoke grey vinyl replacement door pulls as mine are splitting just below the chrome fitting. I think they are the original ones. But looking at newton's colours the blue is definitely too dark, so maybe I might have to source a couple of s/hand ones that are in pretty good nick.

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

When I replaced the interior on my 4 door I bought the leather door pulls even though the rest was vinyl.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

RogerRust wrote:When I replaced the interior on my 4 door I bought the leather door pulls even though the rest was vinyl.
Was there a big difference in colour or pattern, ie texture?
Peter Gisby.

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

and did it lose you points at concours? :wink:

Eric - 1971 Traveller
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have replaced the door pulls on both my cars with leather. I think Tom Roy stocks them. The problem is getting a colour match as there seemed to be a limited selection. Worth an enquiry though. You might find something at the Classic Car Show.
[sig]3580[/sig]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Like Roger, my interiors are all vinyl, EXCEPT the door pulls which are leather, used every day, and show no sign of wear after three years use. They match in colour perfectly, and feel, well, like leather - the vinyl was made to feel as close to leather as possible, not to feel "plasticy".
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i too hqave leather pulls and they are good after 2 years and ny car gets used a lot

so maybe best go for leather ones
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Ditto. Had vinyl door pulls - lasted about 3 years. I've now had leather ones for 4 years and no sign of wear.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

The door pulls were a perfect match.<br>Image<br>

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

simmitc wrote:Like Roger, my interiors are all vinyl, EXCEPT the door pulls which are leather, used every day, and show no sign of wear after three years use. They match in colour perfectly, and feel, well, like leather - the vinyl was made to feel as close to leather as possible, not to feel "plasticy".
Would I need to replace the vinyl interior to get the colour match for the leather door pulls or can they match an existing colour? It seems a shame if I have to replace the interior as it is still as near perfect and original, it only needed a good clean.
Could you tell me who matched the colours for you?

Many thanks
Peter

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would certainly replace the whole interior - nothing else will do. :roll:
ImageImage
pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

Cost! Cost! Cost!
I totally agree but having just spent quite a bit getting her back on the road I was looking for a short term solution until I can afford to do the whole job properly, plus the interior is in such good condition i'd like to keep it for a while. It's just the door pulls that are split along the base of the chrome cover where people have had a good old tug at them over the years i'm finding annoying.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

No problem. I have the Cherokee red interior in vinyl, but the door pulls in leather and they are a perfect match.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As shown by Roger, me, and one or two others, you can fit the correct colour leather and will tone OK with the vinyl. The only thing to watch is that the vinyl will be x years old and so faded, the leather will be a perfect match for NEW vinyl, but I'm sure that any mismatch will be less annoying than having the pulls fall off! Talk it through with Newton Commercial. Hope it works out well. Most people replace the interior bit by bit as funds allow.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Well, here's the question

Do you need to replace the door pulls?

My aunt used to get the rivets drilled out (my uncle) and then cut off the damaged part, re-unch the holes in the leather & re-rivet the pulls to the bar.

You can get several "repairs" out of one door pull (until it becomes too short!)

Colin
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That's only possible if you have the leather door pulls. This will not work for the vinyl ones as they are not strong enough for the rivot to be removed and then repositioned.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512