Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
britab1967
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Dynamo woes

Post by britab1967 »

Hi all.

Everything has been going well lately until I went to work today and the charge light was on all the way into Stafford. When I parked, tried the starter and nothing.
After work, used the handle to get started and went to pick up James from College. Just after I picked him up she gave up the ghost, caused by fuel starvation as the battery was almost flat. Pushed her into the side of the road (luckily the road by the park was quiet due to road works).
Took the dynamo off and took off the rear plate to find that the bushes are very worn and one of the wires had detached from the bush.<br>Image<br>

Obviously new bushes are in order, but looking at the commutator and windings, does a new dynamo new to be sourced.
I know the pictures are a bit blurred (what do you expect on a pavement with a mobile phone) but I hope you can see a white line around the inside of the body which appears to be from where the winding attaches to the commutator.

Is it too fat gone, or worth the £2.50 for the bushes?<br>Image<br>

We got home by using a spare bit of speaker cable (both cores) fixed behind the contact screw and held by the spring onto what was left of the bush.
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done indeed with that repair! 10/10 for ingenuity! It does look like a line of solder has been thrown off the commutator - but it does still work as you found with your repair. New brushes (not bushes!) will be worth it - and meantime look out for another dynamo. I have a spare for sale - but postage would not be cheap so you may be better to find one within easy reach!
ImageImage
britab1967
Minor Fan

Post by britab1967 »

Thanks for that bmc, I've got the dynamo from the hedge find, so I'll have a look at the state of that. It certainly rotates ok.
For the cost, I'll fit new brushes ( :oops: ) and keep the hedge find as a spare until needed.
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

beechford
Minor Fan

Post by beechford »

is nt there a sparkie that can o/haul the old one about .once its done it'll last for years
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

What's to 'overhaul' - it just needs brushes at the moment - but does look like it has overheated at some point to throw off solder!
ImageImage