Series MM Petrol tank

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
teohenghooi
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Series MM Petrol tank

Post by teohenghooi »

Hiya,
My series MM has been idle since 1991...err..17 years to be exact.How can I service it?Thanks
[sig]4495[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Quite an involved job. Has it been kept in storage or left in the open?
First things to do
Pump the tyres up (24psi all round should do) check the tyres for tread wear and cracks in the sidewalls
Release the handbrake and check gearbox is in neutral, then try pushing it. That will check if the brakes are stuck on. They usually are.
If you have room around the car you can try preparing the engine for running. Drain the fuel tank and refill it with fresh petrol.
Lift the bonnet and check all the wires and plug leads etc are connected and everything looks complete with no loose wires
Fit a new battery. Turn the ignition on and check as many electrical components as possible. Do not try to start the engine.
Check the fuel pump is ticking, remove the distributor cap, open the points with your finger to check for a spark. If ok replace the cap. Turn the ignition off. Remove the spark plugs, clean them and check the gaps (0.022 in) check for sparks. Replace plugs. Drain the engine oil and refill with fresh oil and change the filter.
Drain the radiator and engine block (if you have a water pump) and refill.
Drain and refill the gearbox and back axle with EP90 gear oil.
Turn the engine over on the starting handle and and check that you have 4 even compressions.
If everything is ok so far, with the ignition off remove the plugs again and turn the engine over on the starter motor until you have a reading on the oil pressure gauge. Replace the plugs, switch on the ignition and try starting the engine.
When you get that far let me know and I'll continue. Do not try driving yet as the brakes haven't been checked.
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Comments from Graham Holt
"Series MM Petrol Tank".
From personal experience, may I add the following:-

a) Suggest it may be better to remove fuel tank from car and have this internally cleaned and pressure tested. At the same time the sender can also be checked.

b) Check also the fuel line from tank to fuel pump and also clean the
gauze filter in base of fuel pump. Check closely the pipe from pump-to-carb for blockage or 'bulging'.

c) After removing Dist Cap, clean remains of old grease from Dist Cam
and renew. Lubricate dist mechanism - as per handbook.

d) After removing Spark Plugs, lubricate cyl bores, valves with aerosol
spray (I used 3-in-1 oil but have heard of Plus Gas also being used). Reason = to get some fluid around the piston rings. Allow time for fluid to soak thro' and only then try to turn engine on the starting handle to ensure it can rotate. Listen carefully for strange noises!

e) Be prepared to replace condenser and coil.
Also, expect to find that there will be a
certain amount of leakage from the carb and that new seals will be
required.

f) Does this particular car have an Export type Air Cleaner ? If so = action ?

Hope this helps. I notice that the car is in Malaysia so it will be interesting to see how this resolves, bearing in mind the weather conditions in those parts.
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

hi Mike,thanks for all the valuable info provided for restoring the fuel tank.car status:Brakes stuck,master pump jammed,will try to dismantle the petrol pump this weekend and service as per your advice above.What chemical we should use to clean the petrol tank?
[sig]4495[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Steam clean it!
Didn't realise this car has been 'resting' for 17 years. Better check everything else before worrying too much about the tank. The brakes will be well stuck and will need complete overhaul/renew - and the clutch plate will be firmly stuck to the flywheel. Tyres and rubber hoses/fan belt etc will all need renewing. You should survey the car very very carefully for RUST before getting too carried away with mechanical refurbishment!
ImageImage
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Sadly I would recommend replacing all the rubber bushes and gaiters on the suspension and steering as they may have age hardened. Fortunately after doing this they will not need doing for quite sometime. It is not a particularly difficult job just a tad time consuming and dirty. This won't be important for getting the car started, but will be for when you get it on the road. :)
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you don't have a manual for the car - download it from here! http://homeweb.mah.se/~lurija/morrisminor.pdf
ImageImage
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

bmcecosse wrote:If you don't have a manual for the car - download it from here! http://homeweb.mah.se/~lurija/morrisminor.pdf
Many thanks for the workshop manual! :lol:
[sig]4495[/sig]
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

bmcecosse wrote:If you don't have a manual for the car - download it from here! http://homeweb.mah.se/~lurija/morrisminor.pdf
Do you have the pdf copy of other morris minor books/manual :lol: :lol: .It's difficult to find one in Penang.Thanks
[sig]4495[/sig]
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

Dean wrote:Sadly I would recommend replacing all the rubber bushes and gaiters on the suspension and steering as they may have age hardened. Fortunately after doing this they will not need doing for quite sometime. It is not a particularly difficult job just a tad time consuming and dirty. This won't be important for getting the car started, but will be for when you get it on the road. :)
Many thanks Dean
[sig]4495[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

How are you getting on with the car?
[sig]3580[/sig]
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

Hi mike,I am still waiting for the petrol pump which i ordered from a local dealer here.
[sig]4495[/sig]
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

Hi Mike,Do let me know if you are coming to Penang in future.I will drive u around in my morris minor.
[sig]4495[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Not visiting Penang in the immediate future but you never know.
Thanks for the offer
[sig]3580[/sig]
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

Post by teohenghooi »

you are welcome sir
[sig]4495[/sig]