Oh no, a flat!

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Oh no, a flat!

Post by alanworland »

Just been out to the garage to ready the old girl for tomorrow, and I found a flat front tyre! (against the garage wall) anyway managed to get some air in and with it jacked up couldn't find anything amis?
During this week I had jacked the front up (both wheels) to have a bit of a grovel and all I can think of is when I let the car down the wheels tend to lean out at the top until it is moved when the suspension then settles, could this sideways force on the tyres have disturbed the rim seal?
beechford
Minor Fan

Post by beechford »

could this happen with tubeless tyres ?
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

yeah, they are actually more prone to it as they rely on the bead and rim mating surface to ensure the air tightness of the tyre.
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Well, it was also flat on the day of the National (Sat) at 6am!
Pumped it up and got going, checked it on route a couple of times - fine. Spent Satuday at the birthday bash - what horrible weather!, but still enjoyed it. Pumped up before we left (about 4lb down) and again on the way.
Today I have taken the wheel off and given it a real good looking at, and can't find anything, soapy water and up to 36lb, it just doesn't leak? I have now let it down to its normal 24lb and will see what happens.
I forgot to mention that these are tubless tyres.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Well it wouldn't go down at all - until I put the valve cap on! then it would hiss away merrily until it was flat!
I bought the caps off ebay to match my chrome plated brass valves (some @@@ pinched the originals) One the top popped off! now another pushes the valve centre and lets the air out! Not such a good buy after all!