Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

John Beardmore has a lot of experience with the Fiat motors:

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/

For the other parts, most Minor centres do the conversion kits. I have used the Morris Minor centre in Birmingham.

Yes, do the shocks, then brakes, etc. Basically do everything that would need replacing with the engine in, before you put the engine in!
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

If you are planning to convert to a Ford axle, then I would do it all at the same time (easier to line up etc.)

The 'kits' are really just pieces of steel that you weld into place after a bit of fettling!

They do take a fair amount of time to be fitted even if you know what you are doing, and there is quite a bit of welding involved. Far more than a few MOT style patches!!

The thing that would worry me is the quality of workmanship that you would get from a 'normal' garage. Most of them weld to really poor standards and employ monkeys that have trouble standing upright.

I personally would not take any of my cars to a garage now, and if I absolutely HAD to (MOTs etc.) then I would stay with my car and stand over them.

I'm not saying that ALL garages are like this, but in my experience most are.

If I was considering doing this type of conversion I would either do it myself or get JLH Minors to do it, as he really does know what he is doing (as he designed most of the best kits anyway). He's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. The only downside to him is that your car must be rock solid as he may want to do structural repairs before any conversions. This is fine in principle but can work out VERY expensive.

http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/