when is enough ....enough?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonon
MMOC Member: No

Post by jonon »

Following a number of hic-cups and myself being flung more into travel through work my wife and I have had to put a line under our current MM ownership. Tis a hard decision but is pushed by no garage, little time for TLC and even less to learn.

Now then twas the evening before the advert hit the paper and low and behold the dam 'thing'lets us down.

After hitting 30mph he starts to stutter and lose power. This is not new and only 5 weeks ago we had the head taken off and a new valve put in (its probably the original leaded only engine) running on LRP. No doubt this now proves to be wasted money.

He looks so good but now I reckon the engine has finally had it.

Any suggestions?

With 5 months MOT, recent new gearbox and clutch, recent and regular proper service, 1971 model with good looks (if just a few 'wrinkles'at the edges) what on earth do I do with it? and how much?

I'm in Devon and the last thing I want is to see him rust away.
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Lo, if you paid someone to remove the head only five weeks ago it would seem reasonable to complain and get them to inspect it. It
may be the head gasket. Either way,even if
the fault is not due to their work they will
probably find the problem whilst checking.
If the body is in good condition the car
should still be attractive to many enthusiasts.
Willie
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

The answer must be either ignition - points, coil, distributor cap or fuel system - pump, dirt in the carb/ fuel line or blockage in the tank , wrong fuel cap with no breather. I suggest you get the garage who did the head to complete the job they should have done in the first place - the symptoms of a burnt valve are totally different to the ones you are suffering.