The dark side

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

The dark side

Post by lowedb »

Well, I've been and gone and done it. Gone to the dark side. No, Mog is still with me, but I've been and got a Rover 75 for my Birthday. And what's worse, it's a 'modern' one.

Now I wouldn't mention it, but it's surprised me how much of a following modern Rovers have. It's almost got to the stage where there are a number of support websites 'competing' with each other.

So now I've not got one owners website to keep on top of, but five. And a sinking feeling in the wallet.......
Hello from Audrey, Beast, Tara, Robin, and of course Mog.

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/b12225ef.jpg[/img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/553409b1.jpg[/img]
jonathon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by jonathon »

Which version of the 75 did you go for. They really are an excellent car, so don't be too ashamed!! :lol: :wink:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

As the subject has beed brought up, where do you get it serviced for the warranty and where do you get spares etc, being that there are no main dealers now? Have been wondering about this Rover thing now and then.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Spares are still widely available from most ex Rover suppliers, and as for servicing the dealer who supplied the vehicle should be able to help or indeed your own prefered mechanic, most warranties on new Rovers are with independant companies who may not specify where the work is done, just so long as it is. :wink:

gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

Spares for the Rover 75 are easy to find...I know this as I too was going to buy one of them last October but bought the Mer CLK instead...
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I think they are a great looking car - especially the estates. They have a bit of old school curvyness about them. Modern 'angles' design (ford, vauxhall etc) may be cutting edge but gracful they're not.
Much as I'd like an Audi I think a few years down the line a Rover 75 would be more in my budget. :roll:

Funnily enough, a new dark blue jag saloon stopped next to Joemog last week and we remarked how similar the two cars were in sweeping lines, bulging body and curvy bits.
Last edited by Peetee on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Peetee wrote: a new dark blue jag saloon stopped next to Joemog last week and we remarked how similar the two cars were in sweeping lines, bulging body and curvy bits.
and performance :-?
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

You can still get main dealer servicing - my local dealers still have the big MG Rover signs outside, although they now sell new Kias and Fords. They still have all the Rover-trained technicians and computers, however.

Love the 75's - the estates particularly. If only the boot was bigger, we'd have a Diesel auto estate to tug the caravan...
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
lowedb
Minor Fan

Post by lowedb »

jonathon wrote:Which version of the 75 did you go for. They really are an excellent car, so don't be too ashamed!! :lol: :wink:
A 2.0 V6 saloon. I'd been looking at an 800, but saw this one at under £2k and couldn't resist.
les wrote:As the subject has beed brought up, where do you get it serviced for the warranty and where do you get spares etc, being that there are no main dealers now? Have been wondering about this Rover thing now and then
I don't have to worry about warranty as it's 7 years old. So I'm doing the servicing myself (great weekend!!). There are a few places to get parts, including Rimmer Bros, and despite some ebay stupid prices, parts seem reasonable there too.

There is a local 'ex' main dealer, but there service is no better than when Rover existed, so it takes an hour to buy an oil filter and some fixings.

Half the reason I bought it was personal, it's the first time I've been able to own a car that I've actually worked on, but OH seems really won over that it didn't cost too much, and I can keep it on the road without silly bills.

Thanks for the support, now all I need is to get a grip and get Mog back on the road!!
Hello from Audrey, Beast, Tara, Robin, and of course Mog.

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/b12225ef.jpg[/img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/553409b1.jpg[/img]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

how similar the two car OWNERS were in sweeping lines, bulging body and curvy bits.
:D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Oi!
Don't doctor my words! :evil:
Besides if only you'd seen be you'd realise I don't do curves. :D
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

I really like 75s - they look like the jags of the same era... so much so from the back you'd swear rover copied their (Jag/Ford's) design.
Proper 'posh' motoring. "Mind the peasants.. what what..."
What would Macgyver do..?
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

At last! I am not alone. (Proud owner of a 2.5 V6 75 estate.) Excellent car, shame about the bunch of idiots who managed the company.

I'll be finding out about spares and servicing in May when it comes up for its first MOT.

As above, from what I read, spares aren't a problem, Caterpillar took them over before Rover went belly-up, and they are still being made.
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Peetee wrote:Besides if only you'd seen me you'd realise I don't do curves. :D
I can vouch for this statement. Peetee is built like a cross between a whippet and a rake handle :-)
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

shame about the bunch of idiots who managed the company
Oh they were very intelligent people who did very well for themselves. It was the idiots in charge of this country that let them get away with it you should be berating.
Peetee is built like a cross between a whippet and a rake handle
I prefer the term 'pickled onion on a stick' myself. :wink:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Quote:
Peetee is built like a cross between a whippet and a rake handle

I prefer the term 'pickled onion on a stick' myself.
Ok a lean mean driving machine type of person then :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706