Page 11 of 11

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:20 am
by David JM
The Pickup has been waiting for ages for a time where I can do some routine preventative maintenance, the front brakes, the king pin dust covers, the new type that don't need the whole front suspension taken apart, I'll report on those later.
Image

the hole welded up on the Saloon floor, a small job that took all morning and piled up the tools, more than I'd planned for, job done, she can come back down now and the axle stands can be used to lift up the Pickup so I can get great access under there.
Image

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:25 am
by David JM
up up and away, checking that all the axle stands sound off as fully loaded. the front stands go under the forward chassis legs, but the rear ward stands go one hole higher on the axle itself, just to keep the whole car held level. there's never been decent jack points on the pickups. I'm always worried at causing damage to the chassis legs, so I spread the attachment point with a block of wood to spread the load.
Image

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:39 pm
by David JM
Image
I may be a bit late to the split dust cap party, but I'd chose simplicity over stripping down the whole trunnion and king pin to replace the rubbers ones any day.
Image

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:41 pm
by David JM
so far so good, and even if they only last as long as the rubber caps, they are a lot easier and quicker to fit.

Image

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:43 pm
by David JM
I was going to replace the front brake shoes, but there is still a years worth left in these, but I'll order new one's ready to go on next year, always worth it for a clean down with some brake and parts cleaner.
Image