Post by Tilley31 »

Thanks guys :)
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Opinions Please

Post by busguy »

Tilley

I sent you a pm yesterday about a potentially suitable car for you.
It's not mine, or anything to do with me, but it is currently available from a conscientious MMOC owner.

cheers
John
Tilley31
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tilley31 »

Thanks John :)

Another possible contender.....any thoughts...?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200961808477? ... 1438.l2649

Thanks,
Tilley x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one from Cally...........he's well known on here and does a good job on his cars..... You won't go wrong with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331018880629? ... 1423.l2649
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The grey Coventry car looks ok, but seems a bit expensive to me !
ImageImage
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

What do u think would be a good price? Also no pics of the underneath yet & owner cant confirm the mileage; says I shouldnt get hung up on this when looking for a MM.... Should i bother viewing? Apart from it looking in good condition its closer to me than most ive seen....

Tilley x
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

bmcecosse wrote:The grey Coventry car looks ok, but seems a bit expensive to me !
Its a lovely car but not the colour im after sadly!

Thanks though :)
Tilley
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

bmcecosse wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one from Cally...........he's well known on here and does a good job on his cars..... You won't go wrong with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331018880629? ... 1423.l2649
Its a lovely car but not the colour im after sadly.

Thankyou though :)
Tilley
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

My previous link; the guy couldnt confirm the mileage and then got defensive when I was asking questions - DODGY!

The below are also possible contenders; any thoughts appreciated....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370880277373? ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300955977770? ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290974765959? ... 1438.l2648

Tilley x
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Tilley,
So Blue is the colour, eh?? :P

The first is mildly but tastefully modified, which would make this a very nice daily driver, though any Minor modified or original is very capable of this, it is what they were designed for. I disagree with his comments on the seats though, as with a little extra padding I find the originals perfectly comfortable even on long journeys. However that doesn't detract from this car.
It also seems in good order but for me is at the top end of what I'd think about paying price wise, so I'd want to negotiate down a bit. It seems to be a dealer, so I doubt he paid anything like what he's asking for it.
Which also would apply to the second one which is also at a dealership. This one seems more original and looks nice but there are less photos / details.
I would prefer to view these cars before parting with any money, so maybe that doesn't matter.
Though don't forget to take a magnet wrapped in a soft cloth, anyone genuine won't object to this, you don't want to find you've bought a shell worth of shiny filler.......
Number three looks a nicely presented as the other two, without the detailed engine bay of number one but I wouldn't hold that against it, as it is considerably cheaper!! Which for a tight wad like me (thought I'd say it before others imply it! :lol: ) has an appeal all of it's own.
If you can view all three and the only difference, after you've inspected them, is a bit of detailing here and there then it really depends on whether you want original or modified, if that doesn't bother you and the cheapest turns out to be no worse than the rest then I know which one I'd approach first.....
At the end of the day though it must be your choice / preference and not someone else's that decides it for you.........
after all a Moggy is for life and not just for Christmas!! :D ..............
Best wishes and happy hunting......
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Hey Mike,

Thank you so much for all the info; it really does help! And yes....the blue is for me i think although the dove grey is also lovely. My ideal would have been porcelain green however I haven't found one and am told they are very hard to get hold of as they didn't make many. I've been going round in cirles the last few months looking at MMs online but it all gets very confusing and blurry after a while. As an inexperienced first time buyer it's hard to know what to be looking for and what the priorities are (I dont drive at the moment so any viewings need to be organised with the aim of buying there and then). It sounds as though most MMs are pretty solid as a rule unless you're really unlucky. What I don't want to do is put the only money I have into something that is going to cost me a fortune in the long run. I need something that is reliable without compromising on style. In essence; I want the moon on a stick ;)

Anyway, thanks again, very much appreciated.

Tilley :)
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

See if you can get to a local branch meeting so you can see some in the flesh and meet some owners.
Adverts only show the glossy bits and gloss over the dodgy bits.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
tunnyx
Minor Friendly

Post by tunnyx »

hi Tilley - I know its not "porcelain" green but have you seen mine for sale on the website? http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50735

Cheers

Mark
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's a nice looking car ! I would negotiate for the welding to be done -and a NEW MOT issued (even though not 'required' due to age) before buying .
ImageImage
Tilley31
Minor Friendly

Post by Tilley31 »

Hey Mark,
Thanks for your post; it really does look like a lovely car - the interior is great. There are a few points that cause concern for me though. I'm a first time buyer so I'm not really looking to do any major work so the repairs you speak of do put me off a little. Also the distance would be a problem as I live so far away; it would be a long way to travel for a viewing when I wasn't 100%. Out of interest, would you be willing to get a new MOT and any work/repairs done (rust/rot and paintwork renew/polish) to guarantee a sale?

Thanks,
Katie
tunnyx
Minor Friendly

Post by tunnyx »

Tilley31 wrote:Hey Mark,
Thanks for your post; it really does look like a lovely car - the interior is great. There are a few points that cause concern for me though. I'm a first time buyer so I'm not really looking to do any major work so the repairs you speak of do put me off a little. Also the distance would be a problem as I live so far away; it would be a long way to travel for a viewing when I wasn't 100%. Out of interest, would you be willing to get a new MOT and any work/repairs done (rust/rot and paintwork renew/polish) to guarantee a sale?

Thanks,
Katie
Hi Katie. I fully understand your distance dilemma. Yes, the interior is lovely. I'd be happy to sort out the small hole underneath and I'd also be happy to re-mot (well, have an MOT guy give it a clean bill of health anyway as I don't think you can actually get an MOT certificate now can you?). I can't get it re-painted without upping the asking price to £3k+ and its not that bad really, its just rather faded (or honest as I call it), but happy to polish it up.

Its probably too far for you if you're unsure I guess, but if you're ever up on work/pleasure feel free to drop me a line and we can organise a visit, or if you want any more info, just ask.

Cheers BMCE, it is a nice looking honest car and the only thing it really needs now is a new owner :D
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Tilley31 wrote:My ideal would have been porcelain green however I haven't found one and am told they are very hard to get hold of as they didn't make many.
There's one on ebay which might be worth a look: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 43bfaaa98f

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You CAN still get an MOT - and it would certainly be more encouraging to a potential buyer...... Good luck with the sale...you could perhaps offer to meet the prospective buyer 'half way' at a handy railway station perhaps in the hope of making a sale without too much pressure on the buyer.....
ImageImage
tunnyx
Minor Friendly

Post by tunnyx »

bmcecosse wrote:You CAN still get an MOT - and it would certainly be more encouraging to a potential buyer...... Good luck with the sale...you could perhaps offer to meet the prospective buyer 'half way' at a handy railway station perhaps in the hope of making a sale without too much pressure on the buyer.....
All easy stuff. I'll get her booked in for a fresh MOT and Katie - happy to pick you up from any train station nearby if it helps? Mark
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That last one - the Porcelain Green - has some useful (and some not so useful - eg the rear dampers are crude in the extreme ) modifications - it looks a grand car - and again I would want a NEW MOT put on the car so you can be sure of 12 months motoring before having to worry about it. The final price of course remains to be seen!
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage