Bill_qaz wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:55 am
Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) Cobalt Workers: The DRC produces 60% to 70% of the world's cobalt. Studies by the U.S. Department of Labor and human rights groups estimate that tens of thousands of workers—including hundreds of thousands relying on artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM)—face hazardous conditions, with reports indicating that a large percentage experience forced labor or occupational injuries.
Bill, you are so behind with your protestations. Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, the safer choice of Lithium ion batteries are in the majority of cars these days and - and cars with Sodium Ion batteries are already on the market. I am sure that no new BESS systems use Cobalt (which, btw, is not one of the Rare Earth group of metals) so are LiFePO4 or Sodium technology.
You are not aware that Cobalt is used in the manufacture of petrol? So there is some more news for you to look up!
My Minor is not yet electrified (and none of my vintage machinery will ever be electrified, either).
As an aside, my home BESS is derived from a ‘scrap’ Mercedes hybrid battery that I have repurposed. It cost me 250 quid for about 15kWh.

I am also having the Natural Gas mains connection removed from my house, hopefully in the next week or two. I, at least, am trying do my little bit towards eventual zero burning of fossils.