1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David JM
Minor Fan
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2025 11:34 am
Location: UK
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Post by David JM »

The Pickup has been waiting for ages for a time where I can do some routine preventative maintenance, the front brakes, the king pin dust covers, the new type that don't need the whole front suspension taken apart, I'll report on those later.
Image

the hole welded up on the Saloon floor, a small job that took all morning and piled up the tools, more than I'd planned for, job done, she can come back down now and the axle stands can be used to lift up the Pickup so I can get great access under there.
Image
David JM
Minor Fan
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2025 11:34 am
Location: UK
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Post by David JM »

up up and away, checking that all the axle stands sound off as fully loaded. the front stands go under the forward chassis legs, but the rear ward stands go one hole higher on the axle itself, just to keep the whole car held level. there's never been decent jack points on the pickups. I'm always worried at causing damage to the chassis legs, so I spread the attachment point with a block of wood to spread the load.
Image
David JM
Minor Fan
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2025 11:34 am
Location: UK
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Post by David JM »

Image
I may be a bit late to the split dust cap party, but I'd chose simplicity over stripping down the whole trunnion and king pin to replace the rubbers ones any day.
Image
David JM
Minor Fan
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2025 11:34 am
Location: UK
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Post by David JM »

so far so good, and even if they only last as long as the rubber caps, they are a lot easier and quicker to fit.

Image
David JM
Minor Fan
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2025 11:34 am
Location: UK
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 2 door saloon Milly restoration project

Post by David JM »

I was going to replace the front brake shoes, but there is still a years worth left in these, but I'll order new one's ready to go on next year, always worth it for a clean down with some brake and parts cleaner.
Image
Post Reply