Just wanted to say I drained out the old damper oil which was smelly sludgy dark and nasty
Flushed through with clean sae 30 oil and replaced with sae 30 oil.
Oh my god what a difference it has made much more planted in the corners but stiff comfy ride so much better round bends than wallowy before.
I was going to fit front antiroll bar but I don’t need to now
A few months ago i poly bushes the front end also and that made a huge difference also.
This is a must and all 4 dampers only use tiny bit of oil
Lever arm damper oil
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
-
myoldjalopy
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 3562
- Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm
- Location: Kernow
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Lever arm damper oil
These cars were famous for how well they handled on the road.Much better to change the damper oil than fit anti-roll bars! 
-
59Elva
- Minor Fan
- Posts: 222
- Joined: Fri May 15, 2026 2:59 pm
- Location: USA, upstate ny
- MMOC Member: No
Re: Lever arm damper oil
You mean all my Minors that felt like they were going to flip over coming off the interstate exit ramps just needed a lever shock oil change?
Bill B. ‘59 Pickup USA
Re: Lever arm damper oil
No, that's just American roads

-
59Elva
- Minor Fan
- Posts: 222
- Joined: Fri May 15, 2026 2:59 pm
- Location: USA, upstate ny
- MMOC Member: No
Re: Lever arm damper oil
Hmmmm… you might have something there. Maybe UK cars are biased towards left hand exits not right.
I thought it might be the 145-14 tires but the same wheels and tires felt pretty solid when mounted on my ‘59 Elva Courier.
I thought it might be the 145-14 tires but the same wheels and tires felt pretty solid when mounted on my ‘59 Elva Courier.
Bill B. ‘59 Pickup USA
- svenedin
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
- Location: Surrey
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Lever arm damper oil
In the UK our motorways do not have the design of entry and exit lanes like they have in the USA and Germany. I have driven my Minor on the German Autobahns and the cloverleaf type interchanges are rather terrifying. The bends are tight! We would use a roundabout in these circumstances. Then there are relatively short entry lanes in Germany where getting up to speed to join the Autobahn is a challenge. I have ended up running out of lane and straddling the hard shoulder still trying to join. The main reason I couldn't join was cars behind me instantly pulling out to overtake so that I could not move over.
Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.
Stephen
Stephen
