Leaf Spring replacement
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Leaf Spring replacement
I think I might need new leaf springs, not had the car long and have been getting some thudding / knocking noises coming from the near side rear. After changing a slightly leaking rear damper and the drop link, then checking the exhaust wasn’t contacting anywhere I put some rubber grease on top of bump stop took it for a bumpy drive and found it had deposited the grease on to the chassis stop pad. The unladen gap between bump stop rubber and pad was 40mm. The car was restored in 2018 and all the welding and work had been carried out then so metal wise all solid.
If I need new leaf springs which I now think I do, can anyone recommend the ESM kit (£240 inc vat) with all associated poly bushes over buying a pair of springs from Jones Springs and bushes from Polybush total being around (£517). Is the extra expense worth the outlay?
I guess the leaf spring bushes are also going to be a factor contributing to any noises too.
This is all new to me so any feedback and help would be very welcome.
If I need new leaf springs which I now think I do, can anyone recommend the ESM kit (£240 inc vat) with all associated poly bushes over buying a pair of springs from Jones Springs and bushes from Polybush total being around (£517). Is the extra expense worth the outlay?
I guess the leaf spring bushes are also going to be a factor contributing to any noises too.
This is all new to me so any feedback and help would be very welcome.
-
ManyMinors
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 3143
- Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:41 am
- MMOC Member: No
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
Firstly, if the rubber bump stops have been replaced at some point, I found that the new replacement ones were FAR too hard and that every time they came into contact with the body there was a most alarming and unpleasant thump just as you describe. My solution - which worked very well - was to simply cut the top off the bump stops so reducing the contact. This might be seen as a bodge to some but it did the job well!
Regarding new rear springs - others have said that the new springs available cheaply from ESM and others do not last well and are ineffective after a short time. When one of my cars required new springs a couple of years ago I therefore opted for a new pair from Jones Springs and have been very pleased with them. I purchased all the smaller items I needed including the polyurethane bushes, mounting plates etc. from ESM but not the springs. This has worked very well but was more costly of course. As I plan to keep the car for some time, I felt that it was money well spent.
Regarding new rear springs - others have said that the new springs available cheaply from ESM and others do not last well and are ineffective after a short time. When one of my cars required new springs a couple of years ago I therefore opted for a new pair from Jones Springs and have been very pleased with them. I purchased all the smaller items I needed including the polyurethane bushes, mounting plates etc. from ESM but not the springs. This has worked very well but was more costly of course. As I plan to keep the car for some time, I felt that it was money well spent.
-
philthehill
- Minor Maniac
- Posts: 12167
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
Thank you both for replying, I also intend to keep my car a while so agree it’s worth spending the extra if the result is it lasts, which by your testament it does. As the saying goes buy cheap buy twice. It’s not the job I can tackle in my single garage as there not much room so will have to find a reliable garage in West Oxfordshire.
- svenedin
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 4962
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
- Location: Surrey
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
I fitted Jones springs having heard warnings about the durability of the cheaper options from MMOC branch members. As replacing the leaf springs, all the bushes, lever-arm dampers and drop links is a big job for me (maybe not so for others) I had no enthusiasm to be doing the job again in a few years' time. I used polyurethane bushes everywhere and polyurethane spring pads. The handling is so much better. Money well spent in my view but then I am a long term owner. The old springs lasted in excess of 30 years!
Stephen
Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.
Stephen
Stephen
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
Not sure if my springs are original, mileage on Speedo says 55,000 not sure if that’s correct either. I did try trimming a bit off of the bump stop but not sure how much trimming was OK, took 1cm off but still knocking. Correct solution is to change them and as you said it will hopefully improve the handling with new ones and poly bushes. I can see the pads either side of the springs have seen better days. Just got to find a reliable trust worthy garage now.
- svenedin
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 4962
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
- Location: Surrey
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
OK, if you tell us where you are in the country somebody may be able to recommend a garage to do the work.
Stephen
Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.
Stephen
Stephen
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
Some springs have, in my opinion, a less sturdy method of containing the leaves, compared to the more conventional way.
You may wish to consider this. The two versions are shown here :-
You may wish to consider this. The two versions are shown here :-
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
The nearest town to me is Witney in West Oxfordshire, not have any experience of using local garages except my local Suzuki one. Probably best to find one that is used to working on classic cars. As for quality of construction from previous comments on here the Jones Springs sound a safe bet. Thanks for helpful replies, much appreciated.
- svenedin
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 4962
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
- Location: Surrey
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
I would suggest Richard Plant of Minor Parts of Oxford. They are in Ascott-under-Wychwood so very close to you. They undertake servicing, repairs etc and they are Morris Minor specialists.tezza72uk wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:14 pm The nearest town to me is Witney in West Oxfordshire, not have any experience of using local garages except my local Suzuki one. Probably best to find one that is used to working on classic cars. As for quality of construction from previous comments on here the Jones Springs sound a safe bet. Thanks for helpful replies, much appreciated.
Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.
Stephen
Stephen
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
I have recently replaced my springs, bushes and shock absorbers all round on a minor tourer. I opted for jones springs and am well pleased with outcome. I had the car rebuilt by Charles Ware some 13 years ago and had only done around 20,000 miles having had new leaf springs fitted - they flattened and the ride was not good - felt every bump to the point I hit a pot hole and the exhaust manifold sheared - they flattened car is now transformed handles better and again is a pleasure to drive
- svenedin
- Minor Legend
- Posts: 4962
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
- Location: Surrey
- MMOC Member: Yes
Re: Leaf Spring replacement
Good to hear. I had the same positive experience with Jones springs after the same total suspension rebuild. The handling is excellent. Probably better than at any point that I have know my car and that is over 3 decades.Jaywhy wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:06 pm I have recently replaced my springs, bushes and shock absorbers all round on a minor tourer. I opted for jones springs and am well pleased with outcome. I had the car rebuilt by Charles Ware some 13 years ago and had only done around 20,000 miles having had new leaf springs fitted - they flattened and the ride was not good - felt every bump to the point I hit a pot hole and the exhaust manifold sheared - they flattened car is now transformed handles better and again is a pleasure to drive
Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.
Stephen
Stephen