Ghost plates

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Post Reply
mike1864
Minor Fan
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
MMOC Member: Yes

Ghost plates

Post by mike1864 »

The BBC is reporting the growing use of number plates designed to be invisible to ANPR cameras.
A few years ago I accidentally bought such a set.
I'd wanted to replace the reflective plates that came with my Traveller with a more "correct" silver on black" set.
All was fine, until one day I'd (unusually, versus the drive) parked in the road. Returning at night in our other car, I saw that, illuminated by my headlights, the Traveller's plates looked completely blank.
The supplier agreed to replace them, but I never found out if they'd deliberately made them like that for certain customers.
Maybe check yours if you've replaced them at any time?
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: North East England
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ghost plates

Post by moggiethouable »

I had an acquaintance who was pretty well off.
He purchased an Aston Martin, used but in great shape.
Unbeknown to him it had a speed camera scrambler fitted, the boys in blue, a lady in blue to be exact pulled him over and advised he would be prosecuted.
At great expense the court case was contested.
As there was no on/off switch and my friend denied all knowledge he won the case.
The supplying garage admitted even they did not know it was fitted.
In this rare instance ignorance was accepted.
I think you did the right thing though.
Happiness belongs to the self sufficient
User avatar
svenedin
Minor Legend
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
Location: Surrey
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ghost plates

Post by svenedin »

I have silver on black number plates made by a well known supplier. These are the specially shaped plates that fit in the aperture in the boot lid for all models except Travellers.

They are definitely not ghost plates but I did have a bit of an "incident" in a car park in Bayeux in France. I drove up to the barrier but the system failed to read my number plate and it would not open the barrier. Unfortunately, there were cars behind me and no attendant so everybody had to reverse so that I could get back out. We parked somewhere else!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
User avatar
King Kenny
Minor Fan
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ghost plates

Post by King Kenny »

The Asda/public car park in Trowbridge has a parking machine that you have to enter your reg. number in. I entered my 1969, G reg into the machine and it said that that number is not recognised. It then asked if I was sure that the number is correct. I answered YES and it provided me with a ticket. I thought it was a lot of faff as the first hour is free anyway. A while before I entered the local Sainsbury's that has APNR. My plates are the 3D silver on black style. The machine failed to recognise them too.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
59Elva
Minor Fan
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri May 15, 2026 2:59 pm
Location: USA, upstate ny
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ghost plates

Post by 59Elva »

What is the purpose of reading your plate number? If the machine issues a ticket does it collect the ticket and payment when you leave or charge an account associated with your registration or send you a bill? Some of our parking garages are unattended and don’t except cash. I don’t know how you escape if you don’t have a credit card.
Our toll roads are automated now. An “Easy Pass” transponder notes your entry and exit points and charges the toll to your account. If you don’t have a transponder it reads your plate and mails you a bill with an additional premium fee.
Bill B. ‘59 Pickup USA
User avatar
King Kenny
Minor Fan
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ghost plates

Post by King Kenny »

59Elva, you have it easy in the US. To park anywhere in the UK involves an exchange of vast amounts of money. The local government or parking firms have the situation pretty much sealed up. You are often identified by a camera as you enter a car park and there is no way of avoiding paying. Failure to do so will result in a heavy fine sent to the car's registered keeper. It is not uncommon to pay around £8.00 per hour for parking in towns and cities over here. Also, registering your plate number makes it impossible for you to give the parking ticket to another driver to use up any unused time. No change given and no refund accepted.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
User avatar
geoberni
Minor Maniac
Posts: 5342
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am
Location: North Leicestershire
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ghost plates

Post by geoberni »

King Kenny wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:37 pm The Asda/public car park in Trowbridge has a parking machine that you have to enter your reg. number in. I entered my 1969, G reg into the machine and it said that that number is not recognised. It then asked if I was sure that the number is correct. I answered YES and it provided me with a ticket. I thought it was a lot of faff as the first hour is free anyway. A while before I entered the local Sainsbury's that has APNR. My plates are the 3D silver on black style. The machine failed to recognise them too.
Basil's registration is age related plates issued almost 30 years ago.
Some online shopping sites relating to vehicle parts do not recognise it.....yet some do so there is obviously more than one source of the data used..... 🤔
Basil the 1955 series II

Image
59Elva
Minor Fan
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri May 15, 2026 2:59 pm
Location: USA, upstate ny
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ghost plates

Post by 59Elva »

30 years? I thought plates stayed with the car for life over there.
Bill B. ‘59 Pickup USA
Post Reply