Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater

Post by TOMO28B »

Hi all,can someone explain how to get the heater to blow cold. I have a '68 minor with the later type heater, I:e square heater, centre control lever with CAR, SCREEN,OFF. A switch on/ off at the bottom ,And a control pull/push knob on the right side.I can't seem to find anything about the workings of it in manuals except the early minor which is totally different. Maybe I own a mobile sauna. Please help before I melt.🫠
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Heater

Post by svenedin »

The later heater control is marked "push for heater" so to stop the hot water flowing to the heater matrix you pull the heater knob under the dashboard. BUT, some owners distrust the cable operated heater valve (which is on the cylinder head at the back of the engine) and fit the earlier "tap" type valve. If this is the case the heater knob will do nothing and to stop the hot water you need to open the bonnet and close the heater tap. Another possibility is the cable is no longer attached to the cable-operated valve, not properly adjusted so that pulling the cable does not close the valve or is faulty internally.

The current cable-operated valves supplied by ESM are excellent quality and should not be feared. There was a bad batch some years ago that would blow apart with loss of coolant and clouds of steam (I had one that went bang).

Heater questions usually crop up in Winter with "my heater doesn't work" rather than I can't turn off the heat! :D

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly

Post by TOMO28B »

Cheers will check that out,many thanks
obeisantjay
MMOC Member: No

Post by obeisantjay »

I had one like that a long time ago, and one day it exploded with steam coming out. It was horrible. :oops:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

obeisantjay wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:51 am I had one like that a long time ago, and one day it exploded with steam coming out. It was horrible. :oops:
Yes! We managed to strap the valve back together with cable ties and garden wire, filled up with water and limped home.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen