Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Will not start

Post by philthehill »

Fuel injectors - whatever next.

Especially as the OP has mentioned the carb several times.
Fuel injectors were never fitted to ex factory Morris 1000's.

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I’m wondering if the MidnightMechanic posts are created by Artificial Intelligence!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Strangely enough, I wrote that in a PM a few minutes ago. Separately, I have sent a PM to MidnightMechanic, response awaited...
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

StillGotMy1stCar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:48 am I’m wondering if the MidnightMechanic posts are created by Artificial Intelligence!
Or a lack of :lol:
Regards Bill
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:58 am
StillGotMy1stCar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:48 am I’m wondering if the MidnightMechanic posts are created by Artificial Intelligence!
Or a lack of :lol:
Artificial Idiocy?

I write this assured in the knowledge that the poster is not a real person and will not be upset/offended. He has written "dang" on another one of this replies which makes me just about certain of this.
1961 Morris Minor 948
1970 Morris Minor 1098
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

MidnightMechanic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:09 am Hey, Mr Spigot! Sounds like you've had a rollercoaster of a weekend with your car. It's great that you managed to pinpoint the suspect coil and swapped it out, but it's frustrating that the issue persists. Since you've confirmed sparks at all cylinders and the fuel pump is working, perhaps it's worth checking the fuel injectors, air filter, and the engine's compression next. Sometimes, even seemingly small issues in these areas can cause big troubles. Don't forget to also inspect the spark plugs and the ignition leads. Hopefully, with a bit more troubleshooting, you'll get that engine purring again in no time. Good luck!
Hi MidnightMechanic
I think you're a bot. Am I correct?
1961 Morris Minor 948
1970 Morris Minor 1098
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Luckily the Dutch mechanic working on this is not a bot! Final check is smoke test and checking the choke O ring seals. If that fails and we cannot find another carb in the Netherlands then it is repatriation and we get the train home!
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577 - owned since 1990
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305 - owned since 2023
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just look at the posts, it's grammatically and intellectually the same as the AI created images, makes sense for the first couple of seconds before you look more closely. Written like it's from a Pot Smoking Surfer who's watched 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' too many times.

Everything is generic Dude, but don't lose hope. It's such a bummer when the weather doesn't cooperate, right? Sometimes, even seemingly small issues in these areas can cause big troubles.....

There's nothing in the 7 posts created over about 15 hours that makes me think it is anything other than AI Spam.
If I'm wrong, they still deserve to be chopped for the 'Surfer Talk' Dude.... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Has the OP tried contacting the Dutch MMOC for assistance in sourcing a carb?
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Have you confirmed that the carburetor float and needle are in good order? It does sound like you are getting too much fuel at tickover.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

mike1864 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:02 pm Has the OP tried contacting the Dutch MMOC for assistance in sourcing a carb?
Yes they have been very helpful and recommended the garage that is trying to sort it.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

mobylette wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:15 pm Have you confirmed that the carburetor float and needle are in good order? It does sound like you are getting too much fuel at tickover.
Yes, both are in good order. Now trying smoke test and checking choke rubber seals.
MidnightMechanic

Post by MidnightMechanic »

rocco wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:12 pm
MidnightMechanic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:09 am Hey, Mr Spigot! Sounds like you've had a rollercoaster of a weekend with your car. It's great that you managed to pinpoint the suspect coil and swapped it out, but it's frustrating that the issue persists. Since you've confirmed sparks at all cylinders and the fuel pump is working, perhaps it's worth checking the fuel injectors, air filter, and the engine's compression next. Sometimes, even seemingly small issues in these areas can cause big troubles. Don't forget to also inspect the spark plugs and the ignition leads. Hopefully, with a bit more troubleshooting, you'll get that engine purring again in no time. Good luck!
Hi MidnightMechanic
what just cause I write like im excited?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

MidnightMechanic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:44 pm
Hi MidnightMechanic
You mean because and I am or I'm dude :lol:
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hey Midnight what do you drive ?

Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Excuse me if I butt in here, but at last the car is running after the rubber O rings in the choke were replaced. It seems it is not going 100% but well enough to get us home. We collect it in the next few days to continue into Belgium and France but will do a full post-mortem on return to Blighty.
Thanks to all for your advice and support, AI generated or otherwise!
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Glad you managed to get it mobile and can continue your journey a get your Minor back to home soil.
Regards Bill
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

MidnightMechanic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:44 pm
Hi MidnightMechanic
Dang, sorry dude if you are a real human and I like, literally apologize massively and all that, you know. You have done an excellently cool job of convincing us that you're AI though dude, *fist bump*. :lol:

Also sorry for the thread hijack and I'm glad to hear that Mr Spigot is back on road again and fingers crossed he makes it all the way back home now. I have no idea where rubber o-rings for the choke go but that's something I'll probably learn along the way. :tu1:
1961 Morris Minor 948
1970 Morris Minor 1098
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Just for clarification, the car has an SU HIF44 carburettor, not the standard one as it is a 1275 Midget engine. The choke on these is different to the original Minor HS4 and is a small tube with a slot, in the side of the carb. It has rubber O rings sealing it and these had perished, so too much fuel was going into the engine, causing all the problems in starting.