Traveller outer sill

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Timffy
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller outer sill

Post by Timffy »

I have an allegedly rebuilt Traveller but could someone please tell me how the outer sill was fitted originally.
I thought they were screwed in place but mine are seam welded all around. I appreciate this will aid strength but is it right? Or is it hiding something!
If I show the car would it be marked up or down?
Simple answer welcome
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller outer sill

Post by myoldjalopy »

Can't see that it will really add strength. As it is not original it would be marked down in a concours event.
It could be hiding something nasty, or it could be simply a foolish decision. Either way, its a bodge.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

The outer sill cover is originally attached by a series of 1/4" unf screws under the car that also hold the channel that can be seen directly under your door when the door is closed,
Inside the car where the sill finisher touches the carpet I have seen some with a couple of self-tapping screws in the return edge that face from the inside out and some with nothing, not sure which is correct or if it changed with years.
But they definitely were not welded.

Steve
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Steve Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:29 am The outer sill cover is originally attached by a series of 1/4" unf screws under the car that also hold the channel that can be seen directly under your door when the door is closed,
Inside the car where the sill finisher touches the carpet I have seen some with a couple of self-tapping screws in the return edge that face from the inside out and some with nothing, not sure which is correct or if it changed with years.
But they definitely were not welded.

Steve
Interestingly, the outer sill cover, or kick plates, offered by ESM do not appear to have the holes for the self-tappers you mention, but in all the Minors I have ever had these plates were screwed down in this way.....
Timffy

Post by Timffy »

Thanks for the replys and confirmation of my own thoughts, that it’s both wrong and a bodge. So with some trepidation they will be coming off. Hopefully it’s not hiding anything else wrong but it’s not looking good. The gap between the wings to bonnet are wrong, gaps around front edge inside the doors and the sill bodge make me think it’s going to be a rebuild of the “rebuild”