Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

DVLA and tourer/electric conversions

Post by Phil-tq »

There is currently a "consultation" with the Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs feeding back to DVLA with regard to the registration and status of "historic" vehicles.

It would seem that the "historic" status is being looked at and the criteria possibly amended.

The possible worry for Minor owners is that the structure of the vehicle should be unaltered from when built. Take a look at DVLA form V112 and the notes at the end for the wording.

Does this means that Tourer conversions from 2 door saloons and the addition of a non original engine will lose historic status ?

Bearing in mind that they currently include all cars over 30 years old, something from 1994 might be historic. I can see this extending to 50 years or more.

I do wonder if this has suddenly cropped up to stop the conversion of older vehicles to electric whereby boot sections and the general structure of the bodyshell are altered to accomodate batteries and drives.

Will they reduce the use of petrol vehicles to "save the planet"?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: DVLA and tourer/electric conversions

Post by simmitc »

Currently a change of engine from petrol 803cc side valve engine to petrol V8 or twin cam will not usually affect the historic status but a change to electric will automatically lose it. The conversion industry has experienced this problem and made representation; and I suspect that this is one reason why the consultation was launched. Anyone who ploughed through the long list of questions will know that one was along the lines of: "how do you define a classic vehicle?". It would be interesting to see opinions on that.

For post-production convertibles, the MMOC has established a good relationship with the DVLA and can advise on individual cases. Suffice to say that there are numerous such cars retaining their original registrations and status, as opposed to being awarded a Q-plate. This demonstrates how effective and worthwhile belonging to the MMOC can be.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It is all getting too complicated. :-(
I have also noticed an upsurge in the numbers of part completed kit cars for sale on 'e' bay possibly because of the increase of red tape/regulations.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I think the MOT exemption criteria are reasonable, where a larger A Series (Or period mod) would be accepted but not a modern engine. Electric should be regarded as the same as fitting a modern engine; as I said in my response to the consultation, "What would people say if someone suggested fitting an electric motor to Flying Scotsman?"
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Phil-tq »

From what I read the only engine change permissable was another that was available at the time. So an 803 with a 948 or 1098 is ok, but not anything else.

I'm sure the electric conversions started an arguement that was brewing anyway. Makes sense not to cut a monocoque body around. Electric would far out perform anything originally fitted so you have a safety issue with regard to brakes and even accident outcomes.

Again, this is probably aimed at more recent "classics" rather than 50s and 60s
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

One interpretation of the rules is that any change to a monocoque shell will result in its registration be voided and a Q-plate issued. You drilled a hole to fit a light switch, seat belt, aerial, washer bottle in non-original position, run a wire through the bulkhead, fit a speaker? You modified the shell! Wing mirrors do not matter as the hole is drilled in the wings. Similar things such as light brackets on bumpers, front panel and boot lid would be OK, as would door mirrors; but touch the shell and you're in trouble. Common sense has to prevail, and with care and reason, it usually does.

No takers to define what is a classic?