Do you have an opinion on Autonomous Vehicles?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Do you have an opinion on Autonomous Vehicles?

Post by simmitc »

We have been approached by the University of Leeds to see whether any of our members would like to participate in a Focus Group discussion Autonomous Vehicles. I shall quote:
One of these groups should be recruited from people who are pretty individualistic, very pro cars, but not so positive about modern technology. I thought classic car enthusiasts might fit the bill!
No prior knowledge of AVs is required. A 3-hour online discussion (through Zoom) would be rewarded with a £60 online shopping voucher.

If you are interested then please let me know and I will send your details to the lead researcher who can send you even more details. Some brief details below:

Brief Information Sheet – CAVs project – classic car club members

What is the purpose of the project?
We are conducting several of these deliberative workshops with different people to get the broadest possible range of views about autonomous vehicles, shared and privately owned.

What do I have to do? What will happen to me if I take part?
We would like you to attend (through Zoom) a 3 hour deliberative workshop on the topic, facilitated by two researchers from the University of Leeds Institute for Transport Research, to freely discuss your views with other classic car club members.
We will email you an information sheet and ask you to sign a written consent form to confirm your agreement to participate in this project.
There will be a break in the workshop, and you can of course take a comfort break. There are no right or wrong answers: we are interested in your knowledge, opinions and views.

Do I have to take part?
No! Your involvement in the workshop is voluntary, and you may withdraw your participation at any time, even during the workshop. If you want to discuss the research or your involvement with the research team before you consent to participating, then contact details will be provided.

Will my taking part in this project be kept confidential? What will happen to the results of the research project?
Any data collected as a part of this project will be stored securely as per University of Leeds Research Data Management policy. More details in the full information sheet. Any quotes used will be anonymous.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Do you have an opinion on Autonomous Vehicles?

Post by Sleeper »

An accident waiting to happen.

( but No thanks.)

John ;-)
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

The irony of a Zoom meeting with people not so positive about modern technology has obviously passed them by.

I might be interested. Could you please PM me the information sheet?

olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by olonas »

No thank you.
However, Sleeper is of the same opinion as me that it's a disaster/accident waiting to happen.
I wonder what the outcome will be when there are fatalities on the altar of "progress"?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Discussion continues...

Having worked with processor based systems for most of my working life I know ( we all know deep down ) that they are flawed , the number of times when a reboot ( or three-pin reset ) as we called it, was the only option.
Dare I mention Fujitsu ????

I just hope they have someone brave enough to carry the can when the first life is lost.

Maybe the rep. from Smart Motorways and the rep. from Autonomous Vehicles can fight it out??

John ;-)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's interesting to read the opinions, although the purpose of the topic is to find participants for the focus group.

Given the number of accidents that occur every year as a result of human failings, would an autonomous vehicle be any worse? How many times do you see human idiots driving too close together? If an AV has a minimum safe distance programmed in, then it will not ignore it. An AV is not emotional or tired, will not experience road rage and does not take drugs or drink alcohol. That said, I worked in IT for many years and know that it is impossible to test every possible path through complex code. The biggest problem is that an AV is designed (CAD apart) by humans, and humans make mistakes.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I find that the charm of my Morris Minor often results in other drivers letting me out into traffic with a cheery wave and a smile as they are pleased to see it. I can't see an 'autonomous vehicle' extending me the same sort of courtesy! :-?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:00 pm I find that the charm of my Morris Minor often results in other drivers letting me out into traffic with a cheery wave and a smile as they are pleased to see it. I can't see an 'autonomous vehicle' extending me the same sort of courtesy! :-?
I find just the opposite now. I get more road rage from other drivers when I am in my minor, than either of my other 'modern' , more anonymous, cars.
My minor has a 3.9 diff and is capable of keeping up with the other traffic; but that does not seem to help.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:03 pm I find just the opposite now. I get more road rage from other drivers when I am in my minor, than either of my other 'modern' , more anonymous, cars.
My minor has a 3.9 diff and is capable of keeping up with the other traffic; but that does not seem to help.
That's what we find. They see us coming and obviously think that because we are old we must be slow and they will therefore be late getting wherever they are going if they let us pass so just pull out regardless. I'm sure that behaviour could be reproduced in an autonomous car.

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

KeithL wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:11 pm
stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:03 pm I find just the opposite now. I get more road rage from other drivers when I am in my minor, than either of my other 'modern' , more anonymous, cars.
That's what we find. They see us coming and obviously think that because we are old we must be slow and they will therefore be late getting wherever they are going if they let us pass so just pull out regardless. I'm sure that behaviour could be reproduced in an autonomous car.
Interestingly Keith, I think things changed a few years ago.
I am very careful how I drive my minor (and my other cars, I hope) because I don't want to be known locally as that twit in the morris minor who does not indicate; or goes too slow etc. It was easier years ago when there were more minors on the road, and we were more anonymous.

Strangely though, lots of people want to talk to me about my minor if I am at the tip, or in the supermarket carpark etc.

On a police TV show recently, an experienced officer said that in his opinion, there have never been as many drunk and drugged drivers on UK roads as there are now.
The police rely on dash cam footage for evidence now.
It is not a good time for car users; autonomous or otherwise!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

There certainly seem to be more car accidents than there used to be.......a lot of people have become a bit wired, especially since Covid :-(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

KeithL wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:11 pm
Quite honestly, if I have a line of traffic behind me, it's probably because they're taking photos or just being plain curious. Once I leave the village and get onto the A Road, single carriageway, 60 limit, it's like the Morris is a calming factor. 50/55 is top with the 803 original diff still.
Quite often I'll get a SUV BMW, Audi, or similar, come racing up and then slow down to keep behind for a mile or two, passing up on suitable chances to overtake...I can only imagine it's to get photos/video, or there's a family in the car and they're giving it 'Look at the old motor kids' :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

University research is funded by external entities. The lead researcher and source of funding for this would be interesting to know.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

We do know, it's no secret, but not published here to avoid them being found by spammers.