Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morris63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine number

Post by morris63 »

1971 Traveller.
Unfortunately had to remove the engine as it was worn out . The engine number is 10V/189E/H70069. (Seems quite a low engine number for a late engine)
I also had a spare engine which I decided to rebuild, which also had the engine number 10V/189E/H????? (The machinist removed and lost the plate, and I can’t remember the last numbers)
My question is,
• Does the 10V mean it was originally fitted to a Van?
• What does 189E stand for?
• Is it possible to remove the engine plate from my original engine, with out damaging it, and refit to the rebuilt engine, or can I get a new plate made?
Thanks for any help
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine number

Post by rocco »

1961 Morris Minor 948
1970 Morris Minor 1098
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It depends on when the engine dates from. The Suffix to the V can get a bit confusing.

Part of the list will tell you that it denotes "Morris 1000 with van closed circuit breather"
Another part will tell you that the V is simply an inline engine, while H indicates a transverse...

The 189E indicates the vehicle type it was originally fitted to... However....

There is a small paragraph in Ray Newell's Original Morris Minor (p93) which simply states that...Cars from March 1969 had engines with a new numbering system, 10V-189-E - for cars fitted with Dynamos and 10V-190-E- for alternator cars...
So there you go.

The 'H' is High Compression engine.
Basil the 1955 series II

morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

Thank you, that makes sence. Being a late car (1971) and fitted with a Dynamo Ray Newell may be correct. It did seem strange that a van engine would be fitted and I also had a van engine sitting in the garage for over 20 years. Not sure what a closed circuit breather is but both engines have the big breather coming out the side.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

"closed circuit breather" is one of the terms used for the PCV system where the Filler Cap is not vented and all fumes/venting from the engine are directed to the inlet manifold.
Very few late Minors had it, although svenedin has it on his car viewtopic.php?p=683671#p683671
It was principally on export vehicles to markets with high environmental regulation.
Basil the 1955 series II

morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

Thanks. I don't have that.