Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine stand

Post by Blaketon »

Some time ago, my late father bought me a Sealey 350 stand but it's only now that I have needed to use it. I have removed the engine and box and wish to fit the engine to the stand.

The attached shows the attachment bracket of my engine stand. I made the mild steel bushes, that are a push fit in the tubular extensions on the stand. When I get longer bolts, I will put them right through the stand (Using thick washers this end - ie the gearbox end) and engine back plate. Three of the holes are 5/16 and the starter motor hole is 3/8". I have lined it up so that the stand spindle is roughly in line with the crankshaft but I can't see this is too important, other than to keep it reasonably balanced.

I suspect it may be easier to bolt this lot up and then lift the engine, before feeding the spindle into the stand and finally dropping in the pin. As I see it, it's easier than trying to line up the four bolts with the engine in the crane. One of the 5/16 holes, in the back plate, lines up with a tapped hole (Not a blind hole) in the block. I will put a nut on behind this.

Have I missed anything or can anyone add anything?
Attachments
DSC03581.jpg
DSC03581.jpg (271.93 KiB) Viewed 142 times
DSC03580.jpg
DSC03580.jpg (204.49 KiB) Viewed 142 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine stand

Post by philthehill »

Having the engine stand bolted up as shown in the photo can lead to a distorted and/or cracked backplate because of only the four mounting bolts into and through the rear engine plate. The bell housing spreads the load.
I have had the Clarke/Machine Mart equivalent engine stand for many years and have always bolted it direct to the block though with a bit of manipulation have managed a side fit when mounting the Marina engine using the Marina engine mount bolt holes in the block.
Timing the cam 1 (1).jpg
Timing the cam 1 (1).jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 132 times
I have always fitted the adapter to the engine and then slid the mount tube into the stand tube as I find it easier.

I have recently purchased a side mounting adapter that fits the 'A' Series & 'A' Plus Series engines and am finding it much better than the Clarke set up. It is currently supporting a 1400cc Midget block.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285739527291

If you leave the engine for some time on the engine stand make sure that you support the end of the engine away from the engine stand mount tube as over time the block can distort. I made a support to fit under the sump so that the engine is supported properly.

mobylette
Minor Fan

Re: Engine stand

Post by mobylette »

:tu1:
Attachments
Timing the cam 1 rotated.jpg
Timing the cam 1 rotated.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 99 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac