Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brakelights

Post by Rose taupe »

Hello everyone, I am a new member and this is my first time on this forum, I have a problem that I need help with so I would be grateful for your help :D , When I turn on the light switch on my 63 minor, the brake lights come on, but I cannot get brake lights by pushing the brake pedal, nor do they work without the ignition switched on.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Stephen.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brakelights

Post by geoberni »

Hi Stephen
Welcome, and lets clarify what you've said, because at the moment it's contradictory.
Rose taupe wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 am When I turn on the light switch on my 63 minor, the brake lights come on, but I cannot get brake lights by pushing the brake pedal, nor do they work without the ignition switched on.
So as the car is supposed to be wired, the Light Switch doesn't need the Ign on to operate the lighting.....

Are you saying that only 'If you have the Ign ON' the Brake Lights come on with the Light Switch?

Next questions....
Was it working OK until recently or is this a car you've just acquired and you've found it on your new pride & joy.....?

Have you been doing anything to the car ?

Basically, what's the full story to enable a diagnosis to be attempted.....?
:tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

Thanks for responding, with the engine running the brake lights work when I push the pedal, if I switch off the engine they do not work ( ignition off ), If I switch the side lights on, the brake lights come on without touching the brake pedal, I have fitted an electric windscreen washer but no other work but it does not interfere with the light circuit. I have now noticed that I only have side lights on the front, no main or dip.
I have used a switch cleaner on the light switch to clean the contacts but without success.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Rose taupe wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:15 pm Thanks for responding, with the engine running the brake lights work when I push the pedal, if I switch off the engine they do not work ( ignition off ),
OK, so that is normal, the Brakes are an Ign Switched supply. You wouldn't notice if the side lights came on at the same time.
If I switch the side lights on, the brake lights come on without touching the brake pedal, I have fitted an electric windscreen washer but no other work but it does not interfere with the light circuit.
Ahh... That makes me think that you might have a rear lamp bulb (assuming you haven't changed to LED) where a filament has broken at one end and fallen across to touch the other filament, which make the Brake light up when you put the side lights on.
Pretty unusual, but by no means a rare thing.

Are the front sidelights working?
I have now noticed that I only have side lights on the front, no main or dip.
I have used a switch cleaner on the light switch to clean the contacts but without success.
That could be the feed from the Light Switch to Dip Switch, a dirty connection.

Looks like you've 2 problems.
You're going to have to do some basic fault finding with a Meter or Test Lamp; how's your 'Skill & Knowledge' in that area....
Basil the 1955 series II

Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

Thanks for your advice, I am going to move the car out of my garage and put it in my carport so I have a bit more room and more light, I have only had the car a matter of weeks and I'm still finding my way around it, I want to go through everything before I take it on the road.
Thanks again. :tu1:
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

Thank you, everyone, for your help, I have traced the headlight problem down to a dodgy switch, and have been lucky to find a new replacement ( it might just need a good cleaning but it is 61 years :tu1: old and a new one is better ). I am learning as I go with this car but enjoying every minute.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Rose taupe wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:00 pm Thanks for your advice, I am going to move the car out of my garage and put it in my carport so I have a bit more room and more light, I have only had the car a matter of weeks and I'm still finding my way around it, I want to go through everything before I take it on the road.
Thanks again. :tu1:

You mentioned in your first post that the car is a '63. There's a good chance it originally had the 'American style' indicators, where the Brake Lights flashed as Red Indicators to the rear, and a twin filament lamp provided a White indicator and side light to the front.

The actual change over point in the Indicators/lighting is a bit of a conundrum.
According to the official parts list, the latter style light fitting were introduced at Car number 104**** (October '63); but the same list says the DB10 Relay, that facilitates the switching of Brake/Indicator circuits, remained fitted until car number 108**** a whole year later, Oct '64..... :-? :roll:

The point being, there a good chance there's been several people playing around with the wiring in the past to alter the lighting. So you really need to establish what you have.
Any questions, fell free to post photos asking 'What's this?' :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II