MMOC Member: Yes

Wow!

Post by Myrtles Man »

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wow!

Post by kevin s »

Amazing, no wonder they corroded so badly, nothing but a thin coat of paint and no seams sealed anywhere!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Quite outstanding isn't it!. I'm a little surprised how many parts are not original though if it hasn't been used. The wheels are the wrong colour for that age of car and (not surpisingly) the tyres are more recent, the battery (and the connections of course) is completely incorrect and the battery securing bracket seems to be missing along with the rubber buffers behind the battery. The heater valve is also missing and replaced with the earlier brass tap. The HT leads and spark plug caps are incorrect. I've never personally seen those full length brass manifold nuts fitted before and somebody has put bolts into the (usually exposed) captive nuts left to the sides of the front shock absorber mountings so somebody has "fiddled about" with it over the years. All simple enough jobs to put right. An astonishing car. What a great find. There was a similar very low mileage car sold at auction a few years ago wasn't there.
Last edited by ManyMinors on Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Saw it on facebook.
Several points about it are a little bit 'iffy'; the back story seems to be that the original owner was a bit eccentric and did things like take the engine in and out for not reason other than he wanted to.

But why the old style heater tap?
Why the shiny Plated adjusters on the Torsion Bars, wouldn't they have been painted over?
Just why is the ass hanging out of the drivers seat so much? OK so the foam might be perished, but the straps are touching the carpet :-?
Not a single Nut or Bolt has got a tarnished surface?
So it's been 'dry stored', but a humidity controlled atmosphere also?
If it's 'untouched' why does it look like there's some brown paint over the grommets in the engine bay?

As they say in the world of Marvel Comics.....Spidy Sense is tingling a little on this .....
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

A shame that there wasn't a better view of the chassis number. I did pause it and try to zoom in, but just couldn't make out the stamping. A nice looking car, but, as all above have said, something just isn't quite right, even if I can't put my finger on what it is.
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Meanwhile, in sunny Manchester, Elvis has just ridden a Unicorn past the house.....
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I initially wondered about the battery, Yuasa YBX3075 (60Ah, 550CCA), and the post layout. The positive terminal is front right and that has probably just been installed to start the engine. Whereas with a correct battery and still positive earth, the terminals would be at the rear with the positive terminal correct.
Unless someone has managed to squeeze an ass into the front and seat it, explaining the destroyed webbing and sag, that seat has "done" more than 190.9miles?
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The seat straps will age and just drop to the floor. He should have returned it, there's a dent in the fuel tank. I've never see a wheel with full paint on the inside. Bear in mind virtually every Minor I've touched was a Series III. Surely they were taking more short cuts in 68. Is that what the original tread pattern looked like? The engine steady bracket is up side down, but supposedly the engine has been out and in.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I would like to see someone buy it, underseal it, get it on the road and enjoy it.
Stick a few tens of thousands of miles on it.
Preserved in aspic is not what it was intended for.
Where angels fear to tread
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

But no one will - not at the price that the vendor is likely to expect to get for it. Probably the same reason that the second owner never used it either. The whole appeal of such uniquely low-mileage vehicles is the absence of miles and their 'preserved in aspic' condition, turning them into curios rather than useable cars. The archetypal 'trailer queen'. 8)
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

"The seat straps will age and just drop to the floor."
Would that not be the same for both front seats?
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

olonas wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:11 am "The seat straps will age and just drop to the floor."
Would that not be the same for both front seats?
Maybe the drivers seat has been sat in once and the passenger seat hasnt yet..... :wink:

Taupe
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

https://bid.wbandsons.com/auctions/8599 ... 3100ac22d2

No idea if there's a reserve, but £5k starting bid seems fair, so the only Q. left is who here is near Newcastle to go see the auction? :D
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I've seen just select straps on one seat droop considerably more than the others. We don't know the condition of the passenger seat. Most likely someone has sat in the driver's seat to move the car, and the passenger seat can look fine from the top with loose straps if no one has sat in it. My observation is straps that have been unused for a while can be found excessively loose, not just no longer able to support any weight, but have grown in length and have no elasticity.