Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mog
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Horn sounding after lowering steering wheel

Post by Mog »

I was installing a new glovebox liner today. I undid the bracket which holds the steering wheel in place to give me a bit of play to get the glove box in. Part of the column has slid down and every time I slide it back up the horn is sounding. The horn push won’t work now either.
1963 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Horn sounding after lowering steering wheel

Post by svenedin »

So you slackened the nuts that clamp the steering column in the bracket? You will probably also find your indicators will not self-cancel now either (if that was working originally). You will need to remove the horn push first. Carefully lever it out from the centre of the steering wheel. Do not just lever in one place. Go around the circumference a little at a time. The plastic can be brittle with age. With the horn push out, remove the circlip, horn wire plastic shroud and spring. Then remove steering wheel nut ( 1 5/16” socket) and steering wheel. Then take off the shroud around the indicator assembly. Now you should see a copper “shoe” that makes contact with the steering column. This is part of the horn circuit. Also a little “mushroom” peg that contacts the self cancel cam of the indicator assembly. Slacken the steering column bracket as you did originally and align the “shoe” and the “mushroom” correctly then reassemble everything. For future reference it is easier to remove the steering wheel and indicator shroud to take out the glovebox but even then it can end up with the indicator shroud bracket (which should be at 12 O'clock position) fouling the glovebox surround.

PS: Disconnect the battery first! Horn is permanently live

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

These pictures might help you understand what I am talking about above. They were not taken for this purpose but to assist me when I was fitting a hazard switch so they are not the best. Anyway, you can see the "shoe" contact I refer to and how the horn wire/shroud/spring/clip works.
IMG_8545.jpeg
IMG_8545.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1122 times
IMG_8569.jpeg
IMG_8569.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1122 times

Stephen
Mog
Minor Friendly

Post by Mog »

Thank you, that sounds really helpful. I have a banjo steering wheel, will it be any different?
1963 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I think it’s basically the same unless it’s an early car with the horn on the indicator stalk.

I probably should have said that there’s no way to realign things properly with guess work. You have to be able to see the parts hence the disassembly instructions

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Removing the hornpush is different of course as it is simply secured by a grubscrew on the banjo type steering wheel. This makes it rather easier to remove than the later type which is easily broken :-(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Disconnect the Battery before doing anything else.
You said it's a Banjo Steering Wheel, but is it a 1000 or a MM/SII as they are different brackets.

I'm not sure what you mean by
Mog wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:43 am Part of the column has slid down and every time I slide it back up the horn is sounding.
What part of the column?
Basil the 1955 series II

Mog
Minor Friendly

Post by Mog »

It’s a Minor 1000, 1963.
There’s a thicker part of the column that has slid down and is leaving the copper ring under the steering wheel exposed. When I slide the thicker part up it causes the horn to sound.
I need to source a suitable socket for the steering wheel before I can do anything else.

At the moment I have just disconnected the spade connector on the horn, will this be ok? I drove the car yesterday and when I turned the wheel it was causing the horn to sound.
Attachments
35D490A0-CDF6-4327-9FDA-B39DFF797F8F.jpeg
35D490A0-CDF6-4327-9FDA-B39DFF797F8F.jpeg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
71203EF3-7A62-4708-B68C-DB14D9D3BEB0.jpeg
71203EF3-7A62-4708-B68C-DB14D9D3BEB0.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
1963 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The copper slip ring should be much further down inside the indicator plastic shroud. You don't need a socket if you have a spanner that fits the nut so that you can hold the nut whilst you undo the screw or vice versa. Not having a functioning horn is an MOT fail and technically the car is not roadworthy without a functioning horn.

This is my car just now. You can just see the top of the slip ring that the horn "shoe" makes contact with.

There’s an inner column and an outer sleeve so yes the sleeve may have slipped down but if it had slipped so much surely the indicator shroud would bash into the dashboard?

Stephen
IMG_8836.jpeg
IMG_8836.jpeg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 1021 times

Stephen
Mog
Minor Friendly

Post by Mog »

Finally got this sorted today. Quite a straight forward job in the end. It’s nice when things work out. Thanks to everyone that gave advice.
1963 Morris Minor 1000