culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Jammed Wipers

Post by culp »

Hello,

I have a problem with jammed wipers, I was tring toI have established that
  • Its not the motor that works fine with the mechanical link disconnected
  • Its in the section that runs from the motor to the passenger side wiper box the other end is fine
  • I think the outer tube has crimped up around the inner rack spring
Has anyone else had a similar problem? And what did they do to fix it?

Thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Jammed Wipers

Post by ManyMinors »

I would suggest that you'd have to remove the wiper rack and either repair or replace the damaged part. It isn't terribly complicated. It cannot become kinked or damaged by itself though can it? Did the wipers work alright before?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Was there some kind of accident that bent the Bundy tube? If you can take the whole rack cable out you can then check whether the wiper spindles move freely after removing the wiper arms. Tip: feed the wiper rack into a bin bag so you don’t get grease everywhere. You also do not want dirt to stick to the grease because that makes an abrasive paste. That first section of tube that goes from wiper motor to the passenger side wheel box can give the impression that the rack is binding inside if it is not orientated correctly when you are feeding in the rack.

What I am saying is, I cannot see how that section of tube could be the problem unless I got crushed or bent out of shape. It is more likely that the passenger side wheel box is very stiff or seized altogether.

If, after checking that the passenger side wheel box is not seized, you want investigate further then you will need to take out the passenger side glovebox to gain access to that wheel box and the Bundy tube.

The Bundy tubes are clamped in position onto the wiper wheel boxes. To remove the tube you need to remove that back plate from the wheel box but be aware that when you do this the middle tube (that goes between the wheel boxes) will also come adrift. When refitting the Bundy tubes you must be careful that they are properly positioned before tightening up the nuts on the back plates or the tube can be crushed.....

Stephen

Here is a passenger side wheel box in position on my car (the rack is not installed)
IMG_8464.jpeg
IMG_8464.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 537 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

I was tring to get the tube for the wiper rack to go through the middle of the grommet in the bulkhead and stop it from rattling an overdid it. :oops:

The picture is below, it doesnt look that bent. Its not the wiper box on the passenger side I took the cover off and it works fine.

i had a dickens of a job getting the wiper linkages in, I did it in one piece with the wiper boxes on and the rack in the tube. Is it best to take it apart first?
Attachments
PXL_20230403_090711026.jpg
PXL_20230403_090711026.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 508 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You’re right it doesn’t look that bent but as you said in your first post, it may be constricted inside. I don’t really understand what you mean by getting the wiper linkages in. To take the tubes off the wheel boxes you must remove the rack (the long coiled wire) out completely . I would suggest you withdraw the rack completely, remove the first section of tube from motor to passenger side wheel box and test whether the rack moves freely in that section of tube off the car. If the rack was in the tube when it got bent it would have been like bending a pipe using a pipe bending spring -it shouldn’t be kinked inside…..

When you disconnected the tube from the motor how did you release the crank from the hole in the rack? Did you remove the circlip, parking contact and then lift out the crank or did you bend it? If you’ve bent the motor crank the problem might actually be there.

To properly disconnect the rack you remove the black circlip, then the copper parking contact (taking note of which way round it was), then you lift out the crank that has a pin that engages with a hole in the end of the rack.
9DE592C9-7063-4848-ABAD-AFD8A6281B8C.jpeg
9DE592C9-7063-4848-ABAD-AFD8A6281B8C.jpeg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 501 times

Stephen
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

svenedin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:31 am You’re right it doesn’t look that bent but as you said in your first post, it may be constricted inside. I don’t really understand what you mean by getting the wiper linkages in. To take the tubes off the wheel boxes you must remove the rack (the long coiled wire) out completely . I would suggest you withdraw the rack completely, remove the first section of tube from motor to passenger side wheel box and test whether the rack moves freely in that section of tube off the car. If the rack was in the tube when it got bent it would have been like bending a pipe using a pipe bending spring -it shouldn’t be kinked inside…..

When you disconnected the tube from the motor how did you release the crank from the hole in the rack? Did you remove the circlip, parking contact and then lift out the crank or did you bend it? If you’ve bent the motor crank the problem might actually be there.

To properly disconnect the rack you remove the black circlip, then the copper parking contact (taking note of which way round it was), then you lift out the crank that has a pin that engages with a hole in the end of the rack.

9DE592C9-7063-4848-ABAD-AFD8A6281B8C.jpeg
  • getting the wiper linkages in - I put in the tubes, wheel boxes and rack in as a complete assembly - Im guessing its much easier your way - doh! why didnt I think of that
  • I released the crank by the method you mentioned
  • the motor works fine I tested it out disconnected - I dont have as much grease as in yours!
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

has someone out there not made the same mistake as me? Please!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

culp wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:53 pm has someone out there not made the same mistake as me? Please!
Have you tested the movement of the rack in that first section of tube off the car? Do you know for sure that this is the problem? Have you looked at the rack itself to determine whether it is damaged?

I simply cannot imagine how you managed to fit the entire rack, tube and wiper box assembly as one piece!!! It seems likely you may have bends or damage elsewhere trying to do that........or perhaps one of the tubes came off a wheel box as you tried to fit everything. Have you checked it all?

I am trying to help you!

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thinking about how you fitted the entire assembly in one piece, I think the slight bend of the tube in the engine bay is a red herring. I think it is more likely that the problem is where the tubes are flared and held into the wheel boxes. When you struggled to fit the whole assembly this is where you could get a kink/crush.

If you are sure that it is the first section of tube that IS the problem (I am just trying to stop you wasting time, money and effort in case the problem is elsewhere) then you have 2 choices: a) make a new section of tube yourself b) try to get a second hand tube from a car that is being broken up

Bundy tube can be bought but you will need a flaring tool to make the flares at either end and the ability to bend the tube without kinking it.

To try to find a second hand tube try Minorparts of Oxford and e-mail or speak to Richard Plant. He has supplied me with excellent second hand parts in the past.
IMG_8464.jpeg
IMG_8464.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 461 times

Stephen
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

svenedin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:49 pm
culp wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:53 pm has someone out there not made the same mistake as me? Please!
Have you tested the movement of the rack in that first section of tube off the car? Do you know for sure that this is the problem? Have you looked at the rack itself to determine whether it is damaged?

I simply cannot imagine how you managed to fit the entire rack, tube and wiper box assembly as one piece!!! It seems likely you may have bends or damage elsewhere trying to do that........or perhaps one of the tubes came off a wheel box as you tried to fit everything. Have you checked it all?

I am trying to help you!
I appreciate the help very much. Ive taken the back off the first wiper box and one I have done that the wipers will move with the first section of pipe moving back and forth with the rack.

Fitting it was a hell of a job I must confess. I'm going in today and taking out the driver's side glove box and drivers side wiper arm to try then try and get the rack out with the first part of the bundy tube. From there I havent a clue, I might have to buy a second hand tube. I was just wondering if anyone else has made the same mistake and what they did about it.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Whereabouts are you in the country? I wonder whether a local member could help you in person.

Stephen