No, its NOT a Beetle

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MrWilliams
MMOC Member: Yes

No, its NOT a Beetle

Post by MrWilliams »

Third time in a couple of months I've had people say they were "just admiring the Beetle".
Its nice that they are admiring it but really? Its especially crazy when we're just down the road from Cowley.....
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: No, its NOT a Beetle

Post by myoldjalopy »

Once a familiar sight to almost everyone, the Minor is unknown to many younger people now who may never have even seen one.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

I once had an old chap come up to me at a show and was admiring my Commer Auto-Sleeper. He was insistent that they were built by VW and would not be dissuaded as he knew someone that worked at the factory :roll:
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

One of our branch members has a Beetle which he does bring to some of the shows we attend.
He has been heard to say, to the punters, that he even carries a spare engine in the boot!

George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have had people call my car a “Beetle” quite a few times. They are usually surprised that I am deeply offended and I let them know it!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

They do it all the time over here, but I forgive them. Silly Krauts.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
MrWilliams

Post by MrWilliams »

panky wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:34 am I once had an old chap come up to me at a show and was admiring my Commer Auto-Sleeper. He was insistent that they were built by VW and would not be dissuaded as he knew someone that worked at the factory :roll:
Ah, a fellow ex-Commer owner :¬) many years ago I had a Commer Highwayman in fetching Cream over Brown
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

We had a multi coloured Beetle up the road and a neighbour told me there was a car just like mine "up there"
I gave him a lecture on Hitler's car for the people and then the development of the minor by a refugee from Smyrna.
Ironically A refugee that Hitler would probably have had murdered.
He never mentioned it again.
Where angels fear to tread
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

MrWilliams wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:12 pm
panky wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:34 am I once had an old chap come up to me at a show and was admiring my Commer Auto-Sleeper. He was insistent that they were built by VW and would not be dissuaded as he knew someone that worked at the factory :roll:
Ah, a fellow ex-Commer owner :¬) many years ago I had a Commer Highwayman in fetching Cream over Brown
Not an ex owner yet - Iv got two of the beasts :D
Highwayman is a great conversion :tu1: I've got a Jennings resplendent in hearing aid beige as well as the Auto-Sleeper
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

moggiethouable wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:35 am We had a multi coloured Beetle up the road and a neighbour told me there was a car just like mine "up there"
I gave him a lecture on Hitler's car for the people and then the development of the minor by a refugee from Smyrna.
Ironically A refugee that Hitler would probably have had murdered.
He never mentioned it again.
:lol: :lol:

I must admit it's not a problem I've had. Living in a rural village in Middle England, with a lot of old folk around, they either just ask what it is, or say something like 'That's old, what is it? or even, 'Is that a Minor, my dad have one' etc...
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have people waving, flashing their lights, saluting, doffing their caps etc. It's not due to terrible driving or the car being on fire. When I park up I often have conversations with former owners relating tales of how they drove their sidevalve MM to Munich or Italy or wherever. I am always very impressed with tales of such journeys in the 1950's and early 60's. My father drove his DKW (3 cylinder 2 stroke) over the Alps to Italy with 5 in the car and a trailer full of camping gear in the early 1960's.

My mum with the "Deek" at a campsite in Italy. Some similarities in styling to a Minor. Registration "8 DMP". Unfortunately the car no longer exists according to DVLA It may survive overseas. I don't know.

Stephen

15895642_10155658545272564_3313132463052235302_o.jpg
15895642_10155658545272564_3313132463052235302_o.jpg (350.99 KiB) Viewed 913 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

svenedin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 pm I have people waving, flashing their lights, saluting, doffing their caps etc. It's not due to terrible driving or the car being on fire. When I park up I often have conversations with former owners relating tales of how they drove their sidevalve MM to Munich or Italy or wherever. I am always very impressed with tales of such journeys in the 1950's and early 60's. My father drove his DKW (3 cylinder 2 stroke) over the Alps to Italy with 5 in the car and a trailer full of camping gear in the early 1960's.

My mum with the "Deek" at a campsite in Italy. Some similarities in styling to a Minor. Registration "8 DMP". Unfortunately the car no longer exists according to DVLA It may survive overseas. I don't know.

Stephen

15895642_10155658545272564_3313132463052235302_o.jpg
I've always wanted a car with those suicide doors, they just seem utterly sensible, great photo by the way.
Where angels fear to tread
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Sadly, it's more of a commentary on the poor observation capabilities of people. Back in the Eighties I started a new job and after a short period, I drove my black two door to work. Then a few weeks later, I drove my white convertible. A few people asked me if it was the same car that I had painted. I wonder how some people can find their house is some areas.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jaekl wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:14 am Sadly, it's more of a commentary on the poor observation capabilities of people. Back in the Eighties I started a new job and after a short period, I drove my black two door to work. Then a few weeks later, I drove my white convertible. A few people asked me if it was the same car that I had painted. I wonder how some people can find their house is some areas.
:roll: :lol: :lol:
Don't get me started on the general lack of IQ/General knowledge these days.
Some of the posts on our local social media (i.e. facebook groups) have to be read to be believed.

I won't bore you with the individual details, but many people these days are just idiots, that don't seem to build any general knowledge about how life is around them.
Basil the 1955 series II