Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TerryG
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Blue Exhaust smoke

Post by TerryG »

After some investigation i have found the cause of my smoky engine. For a change it WASNT the rings. My head gasget had gone between one of the bores and an oilway. Changed the head gasget and went out and put 50 miles on the car. All seems well! no more blue smoke. That's one thing off the list of problems.
Welung666
Minor Legend

RE: Blue Exhaust smoke

Post by Welung666 »

Nice one Terry, Nice when you can tick something off the normally ever growing list :D

Lee
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very very unusual for this to happen. Hope it lasts now !
ImageImage
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

I've noticed that whenever I pull Boris up at the side of the road or such and leave her ticking over for about 5 or 10 mins, whenever I then pull away again a cloud of blue smoke appears from the exhaust and then that's the end of it. It doesn't happen on over-driving (i.e: going down hill where the wheels are turning the engine as apposed to the norm) so I don't think it's oil being sucked through the valve guides, and nor does it happen whenever I pull away after normal conditions or put her under a bit of strain (i.e: accelerating or going uphill). Only happens it it is left tickingover for a while between being driven.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rob
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Could it be oil collecting in the rocker cover vent pipe because the revs are low? As the car pulls away and the revs increase the additional vacuum draw the excess oil into the induction system and thence through to the exhaust.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Useful automatic upper cylinder lubricant then ! As long as the MOT lads allow it to pass - just consider it to be part of the 'charm' of Minor motoring !
ImageImage