Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Interior trim screws

Post by firedrake1942 »

I trust this is in the appropriate section.

Has anyone experience of obtaining the screws and cups which hold interior trim on i.e. the vinyl covered interior wheel arch at front and rear as well as (on my 57 4 door) the interior trim for the 'B' post - two sections one covers access to the trafficator at the top and the lower section which appears cosmetic.

Some of mine are matt black, possibly japanned, which I think are the originals, some a re chrome replacements.

I would like to replace modern chrome with the black ones if anyone knows of a supplier / source/ I have trawled the internet without great success. I have found very shiny possible replacements but they look almost as bad as the bright chrome ones.

One possibility on an MG (Australia) site mentioned screws and cups which are 'Florentine Bronze' which turn matt black with time.

Photo of (mostly) above screws.

Anyone help please?
Attachments
screws.jpg
screws.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Interior trim screws

Post by myoldjalopy »

I would think it should be easy enough to find black japanned screws. As for the cups, if the shiny ones are too shiny, why not spray them matt black? A bit of a faff, perhaps, but entirely possible................
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Yes it is plan B, but would prefer to avoid faff (lovely word) and put in originals. If indeed they are originals - can anyone confirm?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Think I may have found some. MGB hive I will measure up and then order . The ones on offer are 17 mm so may be too long.

https://i1.wp.com/mgbhive.co.uk/wp-cont ... 2/TRIM.jpg
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Try Spalding fasteners for the black screws, I've used them for my Midget and been pleased with them. I can't remember where I got the black cup washers, I thought it was Spaldings but can't find them on their website- I'll look this evening and let you know.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Having looked on eBay Spaldings do supply black cup washers, for some reason I can't find them on their website. I've used Spaldings for UNF zinc and stainless fittings for a while and been happy with them. If you want stainless self tappers to replace rusty domed or csk chrome ones on the car try Screwfix or Toolstation
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I have ordered from MGBhive. really good site and many bits and pieces in common with our cars. Thanks for all the responses, the chrome ones have been driving me crazy, they just do not look right! (I really must get therapy!)
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Don't forget the heel-board screws under the back seat! :D
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

All factored in!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Update.

Screws and cups arrived from MGBEEHIVE, the screw heads and cups are very slightly smaller than the chrome ones but fit well into the depressions made by the originals in the leatherette trim and restore the look to the interior. Chrome was just too bright for the period.

Now, does anyone know if the cross head screws which secure the metal ring onto the gear lever gaiter were black or silver ???
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Mine are silver, but who knows whether they are original...
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Mine too, but look almost too new. The ones in Ray Newell's book, from what can be seen, also look silver. Just wondered if there was a definitive answer from concours nerds - sorry, experts!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mine are all bright-plated and the screw heads are all in perfect alignment.... NOT !!! :lol:
1956 4-door called Max