Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mark t4
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

camshaft change

Post by mark t4 »

Hi

I will be swapping the cylinder head on my 948cc to a skimmed etc head off a 1098cc so is it possible to swap the camshaft aswell at the same time while the engine is still in the car?

I know the front of the car will need to be removed for access but will lining the cam and oil pump up on refitting be a problem?

Hope that makes sense :D

Thanks for any advise
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: camshaft change

Post by philthehill »

Your ability to change the camshaft successfully without removing the engine will be dependent upon what camshaft you are proposing to fit as the replacement.
The Minor camshaft to oil pump drive is via a pin drive - later camshafts use either a slot or spider/star drive.
If you are prosing to fit a camshaft with either a slot or spider/star drive you will need to remove the engine to access the oil pump and fit an oil pump suitable for the camshaft.
You may also need to fit a spacer between the block and the oil pump dependent upon the pump being used.
So going back to basics what camshaft are you proposing to fit and what drive does it have for the oil pump?
These are the various types of oil pumps and you can see the difference in the drive from the rear end of the camshaft.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... lassic/oil pump.aspx|Back to search

The spider/star Pt No: CHM108 that goes between the camshaft and oil pump is obsolete and no longer available new and if you have one make sure that you do not loose it.

mark t4
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by mark t4 »

Thanks Phil

The camshaft will be the one out of the donor 1965 1098 engine which is where the head and other parts have come from

I have not removed the cam yet so i really dont know what end it has but if its the pin type will it go back in and line up without any probs or of the pin falling out when placing it back in its hole?

Mark
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Mark
If the camshaft from the 1098cc is original it will have the pin drive.
The 1098cc camshaft will fit straight in -just be careful not to damage the front white metal camshaft bearings when removing and refitting the camshaft.
Do not drop the distributer drive into the sump when removing of refitting. :oops:
Make sure that unless you are going to replace the cam followers you put the 1098cc cam followers on the same 1098cc cam lobe as they will have worn/bedded in to that particular lobe.
It is always better to replace the cam followers when the cam is replaced.
Whilst there is a slight improvement in inlet and exhaust opening degrees and overlap with the 1098cc camshaft do not expect a great improvement in power just by changing the camshaft.
Any problems please come back on here.
Phil