Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ratrodmog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Brake bleeding problems

Post by ratrodmog »

Good afternoon everyone, hopefully someone can offer some advise on what I'm doing wrong.

Trying to bleed the brakes on a '71 Converted Saloon without much luck. Following the Haynes idea of moving round the car starting at nearside front and ending offside front. Done this at least 4 times and the pedal is still hitting the floor on first press but then pressurises on the second. Using my wife as pedal pusher whilst I crack the cylinder nipple, get some pressure in the system then open the nipple and pump around 5 time for each, topping up the master between wheels. Checked all unions for leaks and found nothing, and very little air seems to be coming out on each cylinder (if any at all).
Am I doing something obviously wrong here? Bled brake on other Minors over the years and never had problems like this!
Cheers
Bash's Speed Shop
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake bleeding problems

Post by les »

All I can suggest is to check the shoes are adjusted up close to the drums and start the bleeding from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder.

rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Re: Brake bleeding problems

Post by rayofleamington »

What other work has been done
E.g. cylinders replaced?

The rear cylinders need to be primed if replaced as the rear bleed nipples only bleed the pipe upstream of the cylinder. Sometimes not needed to prime but sometimes will give your symptoms.
Back off brake adjusters and take drum off. Press pedal until piston has moved onto the handbrake lever. Wait for it to return and repeat. Refit drum and readjust shoes until they are tight.
Then bleed out from the nipple.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(