Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andypocock
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Painting a Minor. How cheap, how long?

Post by andypocock »

I wouldn't recommend it but with a tin of Nato paint and roller it's perfectly possible to do it in under 2 hours and for less than £20[frame]Image[/frame]
Needless to say it was very ropey before I started. It's pretty ropey now but at least it's an even rope :D

Andy
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Painting a Minor. How cheap, how long?

Post by panky »

:D Nice :D
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

The next owners going to love you! :D

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

it looks good if it keeps the rust at bay its a good job :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Car-moflage?
Cardiff, UK
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

That is Ok . Who made up the rule that cars have to be shiny ?

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Everyone to their own and I have no problem with that. If it needs to be over painted in the future though you need to know what paint you are going over.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have never been into high end paint jobs i quite like an honest paint job that is fair and useable, my beetle has etch primer on all the bare metal then a blast of Zinc182 with a hvlp sprayer, and as i want the ratty look paint ive started using red oxide and i have seen some paint that is sold for farm vehicles, probably a good job i dont want a show finsh.

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Here you go..

A proper Genuine ....BMC respray in two hours :o :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGPt6RgjZI

Taupe
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

I'm not far off spraying up my traveller now! Just done my mk2 cortina, that cost me about £400 in paint, primer and sand paper, and took a lot of hours! I used a makeshift booth in a barn, and upgraded to a top line devil bliss gun! Turned out great, and the spray jobs are the part I look forward to doing the most when restoring my classics!
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

What type of compressor do you have? Could you recommend a good set up for under £100 at all?

I'm seriously considering doing the paint myself after doing everything else! Although a friends Dad has a proper spray room and ovens so I might see if he'll let me do it there or even do it for me. He loves the motor and wants first refusal if I ever want to sell it on.

Thanks very much.
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

Yes I use a makeshift spray booth on the farm where my lockup is, with a massive compressor. But to be honest a cheap 25 litre compressor will do the job and will set you back about £80- £120 ( screw fix has a good Stanley one). Spray gun- mines a devilbiss ( best make you can buy ) and se me back £250, but again a cheap one is about £30 and will still do the job much better than a rattle can!! If you can borrow a spray booth then go for it - he will have compressor and airlines setup, and the finish will be so much better than trying to do it under a tent on the drive!! If you go for this option, then as long as you take care and buy a good quality 2 k paint, the bodywork finish will last, whereas I think if you were to try and rattle- can it, it wouldnt last, wouldn't look as good, and wouldn't protect the car as well ( rust).
I'm by no means an expert, but I just practiced about a bit befor starting on my car, and you soon get into the swing of things!! Tip- use a wide fan on the gun - for faster and thinner coverage, and when you start laying the paint down, move real fast round the car so the paint stays wet, and you don't get dry spots. :D
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

[quote]then as long as you take care and buy a good quality 2 k paint, the bodywork finish will last,[/quot.

and an air fed mask with air provided by a separate clean air comp. so you don't need a lung transplant when the 2 pack gets into you.2 pack paint is nasty stuff,well the isocyanate in the hardner certainly is.Not recommended for amateur use.(Lets not revisit this old topic just do a search if you want more info)