Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Link - shock absorber

Post by cplnobbie »

How do I remove the Link from the rear shock absorber please, Have undone the nut with the thread on but how do I get It free, Did try a gentle tap with hammer but nothing .

Regards
Anthony
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Link - shock absorber

Post by mogbob »

Anthony
The threaded piece on the link , from which you have remove the nut , is tapered.I would douse it with penetrating fluid
( Plus gas ) or WD 40 if nothing else is to hand and leave it to soak in for a bit.
On the vehicle
If you have a ball joint separator you could use that to break the taper. If not available , replace the nut and wind down until the top of the nut is level with the top of the thread. This will give you a greater surface area to hit with your hammer.
Without supporting the lever arm of the shock absorber ( whilst you whack the link joint free ) you are likely to damage the shock absorber it self.
So devise something to provide resistance ...crow bar / lump of sturdy wood, etc wedged against the body work. Stuff a thick rag on the end resting on the bodywork / leaf spring to prevent damage. Brace the support and then deliver swift blow with a decent size hammer. A small Warrington / tack hammer is unlikely to " intimidate " a seized link arm !

An alternative would be to remove the whole shock absorber from the car and place it in a large vice / workmate bench to support either side of the lever arm before striking the link.
Good luck with it.
Bob
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

mogbob wrote:Anthony
The threaded piece on the link , from which you have remove the nut , is tapered.I would douse it with penetrating fluid
( Plus gas ) or WD 40 if nothing else is to hand and leave it to soak in for a bit.
On the vehicle
If you have a ball joint separator you could use that to break the taper. If not available , replace the nut and wind down until the top of the nut is level with the top of the thread. This will give you a greater surface area to hit with your hammer.
Without supporting the lever arm of the shock absorber ( whilst you whack the link joint free ) you are likely to damage the shock absorber it self.
So devise something to provide resistance ...crow bar / lump of sturdy wood, etc wedged against the body work. Stuff a thick rag on the end resting on the bodywork / leaf spring to prevent damage. Brace the support and then deliver swift blow with a decent size hammer. A small Warrington / tack hammer is unlikely to " intimidate " a seized link arm !

An alternative would be to remove the whole shock absorber from the car and place it in a large vice / workmate bench to support either side of the lever arm before striking the link.
Good luck with it.
Bob

Thanks bob I legged It to smellfords and bought a ball link separator and It worked a treat, But the rubber near the thread looks shot.[frame]Image[/frame]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

That rubber looks to be shot so my advice is to replace both the links and be done with it.
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 034db5b0e4
As above - fit poly bushes to the eye of the link.
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 5b36938c6e

Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - new links and poly bushes. Just not sure if the new links are well made/good rubber - maybe someone can comment on their experience with buying new ones ?
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Nice one Phil