Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear Axle

Post by cplnobbie »

bmcecosse wrote:Yes - you can do that - if you can get the springs released at the front mounts - and dampers/brake pipe/brake cables. Then wheel it out with springs attached. Probably the easiest way - IF the front mounts release without too much trouble. May need angle grinding on the bolts.....

Just ordered some plus gas as that's Is meant to be good and getting bolts loose that have rust on even better than wd40, probably find the front springs attached by string If the backs anything to go by :roll:
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

What do you think wire brush the axle then paint it black ?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Wire brush, treat any rust with a rust converter I use phosphoric acid then prime, I use mole valley red oxide atleast 2 coats then a couple of coats of chassis black.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Wire brush, treat any rust with a rust converter I use phosphoric acid then prime, I use mole valley red oxide atleast 2 coats then a couple of coats of chassis black.
No mole valley outlets round my way :-?

Might make a start next week as working the weekend

Are the springs easy to take apart and clean up ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Not too bad - but I wouldn't advise that. Just pressure wash, inspect for any broken leaves or wear where the leaf ends rub against the other leaves. and then brush with old oil.
ImageImage
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Sorry thought you meant axle not springs. I just spray sump oil on the springs with the weight off the car. Well on series landy anyway.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Question where do I put the axle stands on the rear If I'm taking the whole rear axel off and do I put axle stands on the front ?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

I take these have to be replaced as bush where thread Is looks shot[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Or - run a die down the thread.... It's a bit bent - not sure they are meant to be like that? Poly bushes are wise here.
ImageImage
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Cant get the top nut off to remove hub what do you think impact driver, have sprayed It was release fluid[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Cant get the top nut off to remove hub what do you think impact driver, have sprayed It was release fluid[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

other side off ok after using a rubber mallet banging on the sides[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Much better picture of bush, Question do I have to but the new arm ?[frame]Image[/frame]
See In square where the rubber Is falling apart.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

For the screw iv used a big screwdriver with a hole in the end that iv put another screwdriver through for extra leverage. You have to press the screwdriver whilst moving the other one.

Shock link id check for play 1st. Tho if it's cheap replace anyway. And id fit polys in the other end. Nice to see your making a start.

Steve
greendefender123
Minor Addict

greendefender123 wrote:For the screw iv used a big screwdriver with a hole in the end that iv put another screwdriver through for extra leverage. You have to press the screwdriver whilst moving the other one.

Shock link id check for play 1st tho if thats a bush on the threaded part you might be able to get another. Haven't taken the links off mine as theyre good. Tho if it's cheap replace anyway. And id fit polys in the other end. Nice to see your making a start.

Steve
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:For the screw iv used a big screwdriver with a hole in the end that iv put another screwdriver through for extra leverage. You have to press the screwdriver whilst moving the other one.

Shock link id check for play 1st. Tho if it's cheap replace anyway. And id fit polys in the other end. Nice to see your making a start.

Steve
Hi Steve,
Bought poly bushes for rear suspension looks like I'll have to purchase new arms .

Been playing with the moggy most of afternoon relaxing....
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

cplnobbie wrote:I take these have to be replaced as bush where thread Is looks shot[frame]Image[/frame]
They are supposed to be bent to accommodate the top and bottom links, you can get polybushes for the connection to the rear chassis rail.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The rubber in the link looks well past it's best - not sure if the 'new' ones are any use though - unfortunately like many pattern parts these days. It should be a BSF thread - but someone may have forced a UNF not on the thread. If you can clean the thread and the rubber looks to be 'MOTable' then may as well use it.
ImageImage
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Where is the best place to put the axle stands under the rear if I'm taking the axle off please
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You really should put a good thick scaffold plank right across the car just forward of the front spring mounts (may foul the prop shaft but since you are taking the axle off anyway....) and stands under that. But also pile wheels/tyres in there 'just in case'
ImageImage