Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill4342
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wobbly speedo

Post by Bill4342 »

54 Split screen - juke box dash. Speedo wobbled + - 20 mph at approx 40. Now it goes from zero to opp end. Have checked cable from g/box end & feels smooth. About to remove head to have a look. Cable seems to have weird route from head, goes left behind dash and enters engine comp in the near side. Appears to be original route but quite a lot of bends. Thinking about re routing it straight out & crossing over behind engine if cable long enough. Remember reading thread re head repair man but cannot find it now. Any ideas very welcome.

Bill. :roll:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Wobbly speedo

Post by bmcecosse »

Pretty sure that's going to be a sticky cable -and the criss-cross route. But could be the drive gear in the gearbox has come loose - although that would more usually give pretty much complete failure. Worth checking the head - run it with an electric drill - set to 'unscrew' direction of course.
ImageImage
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wow, that oscillates more than mine! (Between 40 and 70mph at 'top' speed) :D
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I poured some engine oil down my cable from an oiling can.. worked a treat, doesn't wobble at all now.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well -it may just flood up into the speedo - jamming it all up. A wipe of Moly grease would be a much better ideas -and wipe the top 2 - 3 inches dry at the speedo end.
ImageImage
Bill4342
Minor Friendly

Post by Bill4342 »

Hi,
Found a classic car workshop on my doorstep - well 50 mile round trip. Removed speedo head & paid him a visit. Two days later head was ready to pick up. He had stripped, cleaned & lubricated it. I lightly greased, re-routed the cable & fitted speedo . Road test & not a waver. JOB DONE!! Well pleased.

Bill

:lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I wouldn't be quite so precise with your Post Code - may lead to unwanted 'visitors'.
ImageImage