Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ExMODtraveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wrong identity on MOT database??

Post by ExMODtraveller »

Hi I am trying to get an not on my traveller that I've restored but the garage phoned me and said it comes up as a 1968 rover???
And not as a Morris minor??!?!?!?!
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Wrong identity on MOT database??

Post by panky »

Probably because BMC became Rover eventually, lots of mistakes on the MOT system, I'm pretty sure my traveller came up with the same error. Trouble was my VIN plate didn't match either, only slight differences and the MOT man still got it through - I did get a letter off the DVLA a few weeks later and I have to send them the correct details with pictures of the VIN plate. A couple of weeks later I got a new V5C and an updated MOT cert.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is the car 1968 ? Some places consider a Morris to be part of the Rover family. Does the mileage coming up on their report confirm the mileage showing on your car? Have you any supporting paperwork with your Trav - ie V5c (what does it say) and past MOTs (what do they say) - anything like that? Is it possible the previous owner transferred the Reg number and 'forgot' to tell you? Worst possibility is that it is a stolen vehicle - and simply carrying these plates to disguise it - but let's just hope it's a finger fumble mistake.
ImageImage
ExMODtraveller
Minor Friendly

Post by ExMODtraveller »

Thanks for the responses guys.

It's an ex army vehicle so does anyone know how I go about getting a reg plate for the year it was made??
And am I best changing it before it goes on the mot database or will it not matter (for originality). Thank you.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I would worry about getting it through the MOT first then apply to the DVLA for an age related plate (no idea how to do that :-? ) the V5C can always be changed again if necessary.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

If I give my daily drive reg number, In some instants it comes up as a Triumph, -----and I'm pretty sure it's not!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sort out all this problem first - the age-related etc can wait till later. Do you actually HAVE a V5c for the vehicle??
ImageImage
ExMODtraveller
Minor Friendly

Post by ExMODtraveller »

Yes I have the v5c.

The car was made in 1968 but first registered in 1976
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the V5C says 'Morris' then the same should come up on the MOT machine - perhaps they fumbled the data when putting it in the MOT computer. Show them the V5c - and as long as the chassis number and engine number (and Reg number) all tie in with what's showing on the car - they should be able to give you an MOT - assuming all is well of course!
ImageImage
ExMODtraveller
Minor Friendly

Post by ExMODtraveller »

Yes okay I can go ahead with that but is there a way I can get a reg for the year it was made? (It's an ex mod vehicle) I'm trying to keep it as original as possible so what would you do? Thanks.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Best to contact the DVLA, I couldn't find your particular query on their site, it was more about registering a newly built, imported or modified car - you may even have to buy a personalised plate :o But have a word with the DVLA and see what they say.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

If you are trying to keep your traveller as original as possible why do you want to change to an age related plate? It would have originally had a forces registration number and only been registered with a 'civilian' registration when it left the services - usually sold at auction at Ruddington. Having a registration number later than the date of manufacture is one of the things that makes an ex - services traveller distinguishable from a 'standard' one. Seems strange to want to get an age related plate for 'originality' when this isn't what the traveller would have ever been issued with.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I'd agree with Louise, its part of the cars history and what it is to have a later 70s plate, though I expect you're always having to explain to folk why its on a 1976 or whatever registration.... Anyway its your car and no reason why the DVLA wouldn't issue a free age related plate if that's what you want.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!