Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Concourse Dissapointment

Post by POMMReg »

They go to all that trouble, yet the most obvious - exterior wise - thing they overlook is repositioning the N/S wiper spindle.

Anyone asked for the body number, give month/year of donor?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Strike a light..!
I don't think I want to give you expert folks any info about my car in case you tell me
all kinds of bad stuff I am blissfully unaware of! :D
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Andy W wrote:Strike a light..!
I don't think I want to give you expert folks any info about my car in case you tell me
all kinds of bad stuff I am blissfully unaware of! :D
I'm inclined to agree. Provided the car is honest and legal a lot of folks won't be too much bothered by the details. They're just fun to use.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ah well - it's ok to steal Minors and change the identity with an old scrapper ? We don't mind at all! :o I bet someone 'minded' when their Traveller disappeared.... :( As suggested above - the body number would confirm the age of the shell - but I'm sure we won't get that from the seller. Needs someone nearby to go look at the car/show interest and make a note of the body number...
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I wondered when someone was going to mention the wipers. Also the black speedo (not too difficult to change) and no sign of trafficators. What size front brakes?
[sig]3580[/sig]
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Another well dodgy vehicle ID listing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Screen- ... Swa-dWl4UU

User even states 'Please note the chassis plate and body number are missing.'

I despair...
Good home offered for custom splittie
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

TDV102 wrote:Another well dodgy vehicle ID listing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Screen- ... Swa-dWl4UU

User even states 'Please note the chassis plate and body number are missing.'

I despair...
This registration is a re-registration, either after a previous reg transfer, or allocated by DVLA when the identity of an original registration on this car could not be proven to them, when first applied for.
If it's marked non-transferable on the V5, it's non transferable! Yes, the minor could possibly be renovated, but the number will still be non transferable, and on the minor..
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

mike.perry wrote:I wondered when someone was going to mention the wipers. Also the black speedo (not too difficult to change) and no sign of trafficators. What size front brakes?
Nobody particularly mentioned the wipers because, like everything else on the car, they are the late pattern. There are only a few things - glovebox lids, steering wheel and a couple of switches - which have been fitted from a 1959 spec car. Everything else is late 1960s. Oh yes, some earlier front lights have also been used but even these are not correct for a '59! What is for sale here is simply a late car which therefore will have the later brakes unless anyone seriously thinks whoever did it will have bothered downgrading the braking system?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Nobody handy to go and have a good look at this car? It's unfortunate that the age of the shell means the 'stamped in' chassis number would be on the floor - and has v possibly been obliterated now. I know the cops have active squads chasing down 'ringed' cars - but would they be interested (or have the knowledge) to follow up something like this.
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

mike.perry wrote:I wondered when someone was going to mention the wipers. Also the black speedo (not too difficult to change) and no sign of trafficators. What size front brakes?
AND the cock a doodle diddley-eyed vin plate - should be Oval.

Whoever did the "naughties" didn't seem to have basic knowledge of Minor production changes, bit odd.

Guess at 142*** onwards body number wise.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

To those who say it does not matter, I guess its a bit like buying a convertible and finding that it is a conversion
[sig]3580[/sig]
leafie

Post by leafie »

If you see a vehicle advertised for sale which you feel may have questionable provenance please remember it is likely that the vendor is totally unaware of any issue. If you wish to contact a vendor with concerns could you at the same time ask them to contact the MMOC who will do all they can to assist the vendor in confirming the vehicles provenance:-

Morris Minor Owners Club
P.O. Box 1098
Derby
Derbyshire
DE23 8ZX
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

taupe wrote:If this car does have an identity crisis the owner can probably regularise it by applying for an age related registration through the owners club assuming it still has a chassis number.

Taupe
Yes it is generally best to contact the owners club if there is a query over a vehicles identity. As long as its not a scrappage victim or stolen there are various ways to re establish valid registration.

Taupe
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

bmcecosse wrote:Ah well - it's ok to steal Minors and change the identity with an old scrapper ? We don't mind at all! :o I bet someone 'minded' when their Traveller disappeared.... :( As suggested above - the body number would confirm the age of the shell - but I'm sure we won't get that from the seller. Needs someone nearby to go look at the car/show interest and make a note of the body number...
No, I didn't say that...honest and legal!!
DaveC
Minor Fan

Post by DaveC »

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

PXX 313 has since been bought and currently under restoration - albeit restored to what - people will buy anything.

UXH 653; don't get me started!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I've locked this thread has it has run it's course and is now being taken off topic. I have also removed various personal comments which have been made regarding the seller which are inappropriate for this forum. Please note Leafie's message regarding suggested action if you have queries about a vehicle that is being advertised.

Thank you

Eric - 1971 Traveller
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I've received a message from the traveller owner, which I have posted below. There is no problem with highlighting potential identity issues of vehicles for sale, to assist potential purchasers, but this can be done without resorting to posting personal comments/criticism about individuals on the messageboard or posting disparaging remarks about the vehicle. As previously stated please make the seller aware of the potential problems if you wish to highlight them here. This thread is now closed but if you have any further comments to make on the subject please send them to me via pm. Thank you.
Hello, finally I see the Club has got involved in this matter. I am actually the guy who bought the car and then joined the Club and I found the comments getting worse by the day and bordering on libelous let alone upsetting.
I am a former concours winner with MGs and Mercedes and it is indeed a case of each to their own! The traveller was bought from a dealer in good faith for my wife as an anniversary present as we both admired them.
Reading some comments on the forum back in 2013 regarding where the body no. is it would appear that it was wherever the guy building it felt like putting it, making it very difficult for people like me to check its authenticity. I should say though, take a look at hundreds of old MGs that have rotted so much that their bodies have been replaced with Heritage shells which are nothing like the originals yet retain their original Vin no. and reg. no. Explain that one!
May I add that I have no association with the dealer who has taken the car back and I would hope that members will allow others to make their own minds up whilst offering positive assistance in helping purchasers to buy decent cars without the need for such comments as seen in this thread. You clearly have members who are happy to buy non - standard cars - indeed I had one contact me saying he wasn't bothered about it at all and can he buy it off me albeit at a reduced price!!!! I wish the Club well, without me as I no longer intend to go back to Minors (I had a pickup in 1976).

Eric - 1971 Traveller