Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wurlitzer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Quarter lights

Post by wurlitzer »

Ive put new quarterlight rubbers in my convertible but I can't get the quarterlights back in again.Ive struggled for hours.I can't get the top hinge to line up to get the screws in,the painted frames are fragile so it's very easy to get it cross threaded then you've had it.Ive got one in but the other won't go anywhere near.Ive had to put a chrome one in instead as the thread seems a bit more robust,frustrating seeing as I've had the painted ones resprayed.Any ideas
wurlitzer
Minor Friendly

Re: Quarter lights

Post by wurlitzer »

Well after 2 afternoons I managed it by wedging the door with 3 thick beams of wood and a wedge so I could put a lot of downward pressure on the quarterlight,we had to file away some of the rubber where the pivot goes in or it would have been impossible.I had to leave the hinge unscrewed from the window frame and push it up as high as possible.Then with a lot of downward pressure on the quarterlight and a lot of attempts we managed to get a screw in.Finally we had to leaver the screw holes in place on the hinge with a spike to get a screw in.Definately a 2 person job and I had to replace the painted quarter lights with chrome as the screw holes were less likely to cross thread.A difficult job
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Heya
Glad to hear it's sorted.
I did my quaterlight rubbers not long ago and was having the same issue had to get someone to push the quaterlight down and some how line it up it was still a nightmare
Just a warning though in heavy rain, water still leaks through on mine and collects in the space on the rubber just next to the bottom hinge :( but it's much better than the rubbers that were there as they were 50 year old and we're no longer rubber :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
EYEMAN4EVER
Minor Friendly

Post by EYEMAN4EVER »

Does somebody have a picture off what sort of connection (How it connected to the rest of the door so that it could swivel to be opened) on the quarter lights of a 1952 car MM. If any pictures it will greatly help. Also would like to see the original quarter light latch.

Regards

EYEMAN4EVR
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

When fitting a new quarterlight rubber it is usually necessary to lever one of the screw holes with an allen key or similar thin metal rod until you can move another hole into position for the screw to fit. A bugger of a job sometimes but possible with patience. :wink:

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The quarterlights on a 1952 Series MM are the same as the later M1000, the early Series MM quarterlights 48-50 were different
[sig]3580[/sig]