Invisible to cameras?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Invisible to cameras?

Post by SteveClem »

Now here's a funny thing. I got sent to Sainsburys today,not been there for a while but the boss was running out of her favourite tea... Well,they've put in a camera thingy as you drive into the car park that flashes up your car reg number. It didn't clock mine..just went blank. So being an honest sort of chap I went to chat to the attendant who said it had been done to stop folk parking all day for free but he didn't think it would recognise old style silver on black number plates. I don't hurry much these days so I drove in and out a couple of times. Sure enough it 'knew ' all the modern plates but I was invisible to it.
I vaguely wondered if all the ANPR type technology has this kind of blind spot...not that I see this as an opportunity...
simmitc

Re: Invisible to cameras?

Post by simmitc »

I have heard this before, but was never sure whether it was just an urban myth. Even if it does apply to car park systems, I suspect that ANPR is a little more sophisticated. Stick a Freedom if Information request in to your local force...
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

The street view of my house clearly shows the black and silver registration plate on my camper, while the plate on the modern I had at the time is obscured. Probably similar technology.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

panky wrote:The street view of my house clearly shows the black and silver registration plate on my camper, while the plate on the modern I had at the time is obscured. Probably similar technology.
Same here. You can clearly read the old black plates on our Minor too on "Google street view" so I do wonder whether cameras recognise them as registration plates at all :-? Who's prepared to drive one very quickly past a speed camera to find out :D
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I'm also in the Ford T Register and a member recounted how he was camera'd at 35 in his model T so Black and white plates can be spotted. He opted to appear before the magistrates as he wanted to know how he could be expected to comply so exactly when his car has no speedo. The official line is that drivers are required to observe speed limits, how you do it is your problem!
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

I've been in a Sainsbury's with the anpr camera's and my silver and black plates were picked up. The black has faded quite a lot so I didn't expect them to be recognised.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

The Dartford crossing is now ANPR and picks up my grey on black number plate when I cross. Also at a service station, where I had to stay over, I could point out my car & reg on a screen (forgot my registration!) so it would be exempted the penalty for overstaying.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Yeh, I get picked up on there too. :( Thought I had gone unnoticed the first time but it was just a delay in updating my account. Just a bit slower than the crossing is after lunchtime. :roll:
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

The cameras many car parks use are a cheaper , less 'intelligent' than the Dartford Crossing / Police (uncertain about the the auto smart motorway cameras ) cameras. The smarter ones can also work out the Square Format plates often seen on van rear doors.