Anyone one from down south going to the nationals? :)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Anyone one from down south going to the nationals? :)

Post by MoggyBlue »

So driving from Eastleigh (near southampton) to my first national this year
Was wondering if anyone would like to join convoy and go up together :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: Anyone one from down south going to the nationals? :)

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I am going from aldershot.. just up the M3 from you.

Intending to go on the Friday morning and coming back Monday morning, happy to hook up if those days suit you?
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

This is a great idea and as your route will be passing and skirting around London up the M1 past Birmingham, Leicester, Notts, Sheffield, Leeds and York. You have the potential to pick up loads of Minors. You could easily meet at certain locations along route allowing 15 minutes for your cars to cool down every hour.
Its a great way to make a long day fun. I collected Woody from Kent (just below the M25) and drove him back to Sheffield, it took 6 hours but I only did 50mph with plenty of stops.
Wouldn't it be great if you started really early and by the time you get to the rally you have at least 50 Minors leaving York !!
Wish I could join you but I plan to go for a very long day on Saturday.[frame]Image[/frame]
Some inspiration for your trip.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:I am going from aldershot.. just up the M3 from you.

Intending to go on the Friday morning and coming back Monday morning, happy to hook up if those days suit you?
Ahhh that would be great and I intend to leave Friday morning sometime still debating on time and route.

But Monday I plan on going to my home town or Scarborough for the day to see my dad so I won't be able to join the journey home.

What time would you have in mind on setting off?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

The Issigonis Kid wrote:This is a great idea and as your route will be passing and skirting around London up the M1 past Birmingham, Leicester, Notts, Sheffield, Leeds and York. You have the potential to pick up loads of Minors. You could easily meet at certain locations along route allowing 15 minutes for your cars to cool down every hour.
Its a great way to make a long day fun. I collected Woody from Kent (just below the M25) and drove him back to Sheffield, it took 6 hours but I only did 50mph with plenty of stops.
Wouldn't it be great if you started really early and by the time you get to the rally you have at least 50 Minors leaving York !!
Wish I could join you but I plan to go for a very long day on Saturday.[frame]Image[/frame]
Some inspiration for your trip.
Haha yeah sadly it's going yo be right at the bottom of the uk but like you say there will be plenty of opportunities to join convoy already going to try meet a few friends from young members along the way being my first time aswell it may save me from getting lost ;)
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Which route are you taking? My partner and I and a couple friends are coming up the A1 from Cambridge. I'm guessing you will be taking the M1, so maybe we'll Join you with your convoy somewhere near to where the 2 rounds meet just North of Sheffield 8)
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

i was thinking of leaving after rush hour.. yes that vague.. up the M3 to Bracknell then across country to Milton Keynes to avoid the roadworks on the M3 and the fun of the M25 then M1 etc.. but looking at the Map the A34 might be a better route for you and not adding that much to me.. we could meet up at the services on the junction of the A34 \ M4? according to the AA time wise this is the same for both of us at about an hour so shall we say meet up at 10:30 at the services?

I like to sit @ 60 on the motorway by the way in case you wish to go quicker or slower, i know how frustrating it can be travelling with people that do not do the same speed and we are in for a bit of a drive..
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Charlie - check your route if using the A34 My Daughter lives in Didcot. There are major roadworks on the A34 (drainage renewal) together with other roadworks. Lanes down to single file for about 4 months (30mph). Botley interchange, South Hinksey areas. Still v. slow even after rush hour.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Tea wrote:Which route are you taking? My partner and I and a couple friends are coming up the A1 from Cambridge. I'm guessing you will be taking the M1, so maybe we'll Join you with your convoy somewhere near to where the 2 rounds meet just North of Sheffield 8)
I shall probly be taking the a34 M40 etc. But yeah would be great if we 'bump' into each other ( not litterily :lol: )
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:i was thinking of leaving after rush hour.. yes that vague.. up the M3 to Bracknell then across country to Milton Keynes to avoid the roadworks on the M3 and the fun of the M25 then M1 etc.. but looking at the Map the A34 might be a better route for you and not adding that much to me.. we could meet up at the services on the junction of the A34 \ M4? according to the AA time wise this is the same for both of us at about an hour so shall we say meet up at 10:30 at the services?

I like to sit @ 60 on the motorway by the way in case you wish to go quicker or slower, i know how frustrating it can be travelling with people that do not do the same speed and we are in for a bit of a drive..
ahh well thats not a bad time lol i was thinking around 9/10 in the morning :)
and yeah i was thinking about using the a34 then the M40 and so on :)
is that the services just near Newbury? doesnt seem like a bad place to meet

and haha ok thats awesome funnily enough i only passed my test christmas time :lol: and not had any motorway experience yet plan on getting some next week so i know how it works done loads of dual carrige way so shouldnt be to bad :lol: and tbh i havnt been able to get her much over 55 and i still think my speedo is a bit out :lol:
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

You should all use the M1, from Birmingham all the way round Leeds to the A1 it's 50mph roadworks as they are replacing crash barriers. And, Friday afternoons are always busy from about 3pm (this is good for minors as it slows the traffic). I think a lot of Southerners finish work early on a Friday and travel up North to enjoy our glorious hills and cheap beer.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I seem to find that almost every major road is being dug up
Friday is POETS day, everyone finishes work early
[sig]3580[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

ASL642 wrote:Charlie - check your route if using the A34 My Daughter lives in Didcot. There are major roadworks on the A34 (drainage renewal) together with other roadworks. Lanes down to single file for about 4 months (30mph). Botley interchange, South Hinksey areas. Still v. slow even after rush hour.
thanks for the warning.. the trouble is the M3 is roadworks from Farnborough to M25.. and then the "fun" of the M25 / M4 junctions i think the A34 whilst a risk is a better risk..
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

The Issigonis Kid wrote:You should all use the M1, from Birmingham all the way round Leeds to the A1 it's 50mph roadworks as they are replacing crash barriers. And, Friday afternoons are always busy from about 3pm (this is good for minors as it slows the traffic). I think a lot of Southerners finish work early on a Friday and travel up North to enjoy our glorious hills and cheap beer.
Not too many hills on route I hope. We're towing our trailer tent...
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Really is there that many hills? :lol:
May have to avoid it then. Norma seems to struggle a he'll of alot with hills :lol:
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

The M1 and up round Leeds is nice and flat.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

The Issigonis Kid wrote:The M1 and up round Leeds is nice and flat.
Yeah I was planning the a34 then M40 and onto the M3 :P
ValuablePickle

Post by ValuablePickle »

Sorry about bringing back an old thread, but are you planning on going near the M25/ M1? I'm based in Croxley Green and it is too my first time attenidng the rally. Would be nice if I could head down with a couple other Moggys :D

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

not a problem i was going to bring it back up anyway this is our route..

looking to meet at chieveley services at 10.30 on Friday

up the a34 until we pick up the M40

leave the M40 at junction 10

take the A43 towards northampton / M1

join the M1 heading "Birmingham \ the north"

leave the M1 at junction 32

join M18 heading "north"

leave the M18 at Junction 2

join A1(M) heading "North"

A1(M) becomes the A1 and then the A1(M) again

leave the A1(M) at junction 44

join the A64 heading "Scarborough, Malton"

we were looking to keep to 60 and stop at the watford gap services which for us is 70 miles after we start so should hopefully be there around 11.45 - 12.00 ish.. happy to try and meet up there if you would like?

the next planned stop is Woodal which is another 80 ish miles from watford gap should be there around 1.45 - 2.00 ish
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

I'm coming up from down south, although quite far west (Cirencester, Gloucestershire).

If I see any other Minors on the road I'll be sure to stick to the back of them, assuming they don't have upgraded engines or 5-speed boxes I can't keep up with of course!

I believe it'll be A417 to Gloucester, M5 to Bromsgrove, M42, A42, M1, A64 to the Hall. Hopefully no more than six hours. :o
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.