Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LUR759H
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: HOW DO I REMOVE THIS BOLT?

Post by LUR759H »

If anyone has a spare nut or two could you let me know....

Thank you

Alan
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Alan

Have you been using WD40 on the thread - heating, as suggested by bmc, would
have sorted this out.

Anyone on here able to visit Alan and help him out?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

go to rom roys, not far from you,at battersby junction,near stokesly/middlesbrough,and ask Chris,the owner t,o show you a rear chassis repair section,I believe it includes the bolt for the drop link. From the look of your chassis,it would be better to cut the whole lot off to get rid of the old bodge up patching,fit a new section and forget about it for the rest of the life of the car.
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

Hi there,

A visit by anyone with a traveler would be most welcome! I believe Im the only person in Sunderland with a Minor as Ive asked on the site for about six months now and had no response.

Yes I have used WD40 along with a 5/16th ring spanner.

I know of Tom Roys, they are not local unfortunately, but I think they maybe the closest stockist to me. The most annoying thing Ive never seen another traveler apart from mine and so looking underneath, comparing and just getting an idea of what I should do next is by looking at pictures and dreaming of the possibilities.

Thanks again guys

Alan
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Maybe you could purchase this, http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langID=-1 as the next best thing if you don't have any minors locally to compare yours too?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

WD 40 is NOT a release oil - therein probably is the root cause of the problem...... Plus Gas - or 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and acetone is said to do a good job. I agree that cutting out and welding in a complete new section is probably the answer here now.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Tom roys is about 30 miles straight down A19 from sunderland,its the only stockist in the north east,very friendly and will be able to show you exactly what you need,he also had two or three travellers stood in his yard.Being able to see it live will be far better than any description or photo.
minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

Can anyone tell me what size of nut fits on that damper link pin on the rear chassis leg? I am trying to fit a Spax CK10 Conversion Kit just now but the thread on Spax's upper mounting pin sleeve is larger than the thread on the pin on the chassis leg.

The nut that I removed from the chassis pin was undone with a ½“ spanner. I reckon the thread in the Spax pin is similar or the same as the shackle pin thread. Photo uploaded of chassis pin.[frame]Image[/frame]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

LUR759H wrote:If anyone has a spare nut or two could you let me know....

Thank you

Alan
No self respecting nut will hold well on that stud, you've cut half of it away! :o

minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

Looking at some of the parts suppliers' catalogues, the thread should be ⅜" BSF. Has anyone come across the situation whereby the thread is smaller - possibly ¼"?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

LUR759H wrote:Hi there,

A visit by anyone with a traveler would be most welcome!

Alan
The traveller is no different to a saloon in this area. I would agree with others that the pin is now pretty useless but that part of the "chassis" is peppered with rust holes and requires replacement anyway surely? A new chassis section either from a local supplier or by mail order will include a new pin so is really the best way forward quite honestly and buy a new nut to fit the pin at the same time.....
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

minortech wrote:Looking at some of the parts suppliers' catalogues, the thread should be ⅜" BSF. Has anyone come across the situation whereby the thread is smaller - possibly ¼"?
The thread looks badly worn, I've found this on various bolts on my car - they just rusted away :cry: But when I changed the drop links the thread was OK and as you said I'm sure it was 3/8" BSF, I got some nylocks from a local engineers suppliers. If the thread on yours is so small someone may have re-cut the thread.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

You can use a nut splitter to remove the nut

http://www.mackay.co.uk/draper-9mm-22mm ... tools.html

Taupe
minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

The thread's not worn - just smothered in copper grease! I doubt it's been re-cut as it would be awkward to get a die on to it. Also the car was restored 20 years ago and the underside is still absolutely solid. Both rear chassis legs were replaced at that time. Could it be a batch of rogue panels?
minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

I have been advised that in the 90s Henrics supplied the rear chassis repair panels with a 5/16 thread on the mounting pin. Reason unknown.