New Member - Just Bought my First Morris...

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New Member - Just Bought my First Morris...

Post by oliverlane89 »

Hello everyone!

As the title says, I've just joined here, as I had a moment of madness and I've bought my first Morris Minor. It's also my first car - I think it's fair to say I'm eligible to join the young owners register.

I'm picking her (1966 Old English White Convertible) up from the Garage on Thursday and taking her across country to her new home. She seems in fairly good condition and has had a number of electro-mechanical parts recently replaced new.

Although no doubt I'm going to be a regular in here fairly soon (probably with a lot of very obvious questions), but in the meanwhile does anyone have any top tips and advice on keeping the car on the road, the bank manager from the door, and my wife from going insane?

I'm sorting out insurance tomorrow - got a good quote from Admiral, tried footman james but the online quote widget wasn't working. Are they worth phoning? I've put in my application to be a proper member of the MMOC this afternoon, which I understand can reduce the price of insurance, but I fear my membership number won't come through in time. Any suggestions?

Anyway, hope you're all well. I'm very excited, of course. Really looking forward to not only driving my moggie but getting involved with the MMOC.

Oliver
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Member - Just Bought my First Morris...

Post by irmscher »

Hi Oliver :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi Oliver, welcome to Morris Minor Ownership and the messageboard!! A minor is a great choice for a first car, I got mine when I was 15 and have owned 23 years now........

Regarding insurance, you really need a agreed value classic car policy. Footman James is a specailist in older cars, of course they are many other insurers around as well. Personally I have been insured with them a long time and currently have a classic policy which covers 5 minors and another for my everyday minor, as you generally need to have a car insured or be insured as a named driver on a policy to get a classic policy. Should you have an accident and the car is written off and its not on agreed value it possible they could say its just an old banger and offer you £100. So phone around some of the specailist classic insurance companies.

Regarding the club, there always some one to answer questions here, but I find its very worthwhile being part of a local branch and getting to know other minor owners.

Good luck with your minor :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you joined MMOC online they should have received the notification via email. Give them a ring and explain that you need a membership number to enable you to get a quote from Footman James. They will give you this over the 'phone. Their number is 01332 291675. Ask for Liz Saxon.

You can ring Footman James and get a quote using the MMOC Young Driver's Scheme. Don't forget to have your membership number handy :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Also continue getting alternative quotes as FJ aren't the cheapest and most other insurers give discounts for club membership.
Mick
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Welcome! I found Lancaster very good.
John

Bertie.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Agreed FJ may not be the cheapest BUT many other insurance companies will not insure under 25. That is why the MMOC set up the Young Driver's Scheme - so that under 25's can find insurance to actually drive their car. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Good point!
Mick
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Many of us are with RH Insurance - excellent service, but not sure how they are on age limits. How much are Admiral quoting? I didn't know they covered Classic Cars. Note that most Classic Policies include Roadside and Recovery (but do check..) so no need for any additional Green Flag/AA etc cover. Do Admiral include that cover ?
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I'm insured with Footman James. It's my first car and I'm 23. The gave me the cheapest quote and it's a fully comprehensive, agreed value policy with legal cover and zero retention fee. I took out the policy after I'd joined the club but before I had received by membership number. FJ didn't make any fuss and just told me to send it to them once I'd received it.
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

I too (like John Naylor) am with Lancaster, make sure you have an agreed value and insist on the option to purchase the car back if it gets wrote off.
From reading a resent post about a Traveller rebuild, if this does happen, have it recovered to your home so you are in procession, not the insurance or recovery yard.
I did try MMOC Footman but found them expensive and only willing to beat quotes rather than offering a good price to start with. When I was younger I always found Adrian Flux to be competitive. Another tip, the more adults you have on the policy, the cheaper it is. Its also worth considering where you live. If your parents live in nice area and you're using the car at university in the city centre, legally it should be registered at your uni address but I bet it would be cheaper at your parents address.

Good luck and always look on the forum if you need any help. One of us has usually already been there and done that but remember, as BMCman (with the train) says, it's never the coil. And if you're selling something, make sure your wheelie bin is in the photo so we know what part of the country you are in.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly

Post by oliverlane89 »

Okay, thanks everyone! We are now insured.

Strangely Footman James wouldn't insure me because I'm on a provisional licence, but over the age of 24. Apparently beyond that you're on your own.

Went with Admiral and got a good price. Insured the whole family on it for less than the price of a first class return to Exeter.

God bless classic car insurance.

So I've got a Haynes manual in the post (though I hope I won't need it, I think it better to be prepared!) - what stock of spares should I start to build? I note she doesn't have a spare wheel in the boot - where is best to get one of those? I note there are a bunch of steels only on ebay for £25 or so, but they look quite scruffy and are minus tyres. An easy enough thing to fit I know but I would like to get one already fitted for the sake of ease.

Will be driving through West London on the way to the West Country on Thursday - can anyone advise a reputable place that keeps such things in stock? Failing all else it's the Charles Ware centre which is fairly close to home.

Thanks a lot, you've all been excellent so far.

Oh! And I'm now a bona-fide member of the MMOC. How do I join the young members register?

Oliver
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Is it a "Genuine" Convertible?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly

Post by oliverlane89 »

A real one, indeed, registered as a cabriolet in 1966.

Hope so, anyway...
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

oliverlane89 wrote:A real one, indeed, registered as a cabriolet in 1966.

Hope so, anyway...
What's the body number?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly

Post by oliverlane89 »

You may think this a silly question, but is it wise to post such data about ones motor online?

OJJL
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

No! Use the PM (private message) system to send personal details to a fellow poster. After all this is a open site for all to view. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly

Post by oliverlane89 »

I think there's a chart online - I'll check it once I've had a cup of tea.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't pay anything like £25 for a Minor wheel with or without a tyre - unless it's a brand new radial tyre.... Wheels with 'legal' tyres are often given away free on here. Ask in the 'wanted' section. Check prices before buying anything from CW - or indeed any of the other suppliers. Your local 'autoparts' place can often get the parts you need for less money and without carriage charges.
ImageImage
oliverlane89
Minor Friendly

Post by oliverlane89 »

Okay, that's helpful advice, thank you. I will look for a wheel with a tyre on it here.

The relevant digits of the chassis number are M / A T 5 D (actual chassis number after that)

Which according to http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm means:

MORRIS / A SERIES ENGINE TOURER 1098cc DELUXE.

So yes, it's an original convertible rather than a bodged one.