Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Minor-Bramsche
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Big probs with the german TÜV! need help

Post by Minor-Bramsche »

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the registration of my motor in the German documents for the TÜV (MOT) and the insurance company.

As far as I know, the motor that is registered in my German documents, a motor with 797 ccm and 22hp, has never been installed in the Minor. This entry is thus not correct.

The date of first registration of my Minor was March 24, 1954 and it is a "Minor Series II", chassis no. FAA 11/247560. The motor no. is RKM 1122E 13236.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what type of motor this is. It is supposed to be a motor with 1098 ccm.

Can anyone help tell me what type of motor it is? Or is there a contact point where I can obtain a confirmation for the motor, or a kind of database where I can find the motor data for the TÜV??

In the current state, I am actually not allowed to drive the Minor since the vehicle type approval has expired.
The German authorities and their regulations are very strict.

I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Best regards from Germany,

Dirk

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Life is like drawing without an eraser!
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
MMOC Member: No

Re: Big probs with the german TÜV! need help

Post by chesney »

1098 cylinder head it seems.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

That engine number is a Unipart Silver seal reconditioned engine RKM1122E is the engine type probably 1098cc

'All engines pre-fixed with 'GSE' or 'RKM' were of UNIPART origin when BL split its parts organisation.'

'E' at the end of a part number denotes it is a reconditioned, service unit only (basic engine assembly with no ancillaries).

There are fairly good databases for the mini versions but I have not found reference to RKM1122E which is a minor engine reference.

My morris Traveller has engine No. RKM1121E.....and like yours is painted silver

Taupe

edit found this:

This was published in UK's Practical Classics magazine in February 1984

GOLD/SILVER SEAL - WHAT YOU GET

Gold and Silver Seal engines differ in two ways. Gold Seal engines are applicable to vehicles up to five years old and contain a higher percentage of new parts. Silver Seal engines apply to vehicles over five years old and the lower percentage of new parts in these engines reflects the much greater availability of fairly good used parts for these slightly older engines. The sole exception to the 'five year old' rule is the MGB for which Gold Seal units are available rather than Silver Seal.

The same standards of re-manufacture apply to both types of engine except that the Silver Seal specification does not include the water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing and sparking plugs,(although plugs are to be included soon), but does include the oil pump and fiilter and crankshaft pulley. The Gold Seal specification includes all of these items and both types of engine will have been very thoroughly over-hauled. This work consists of stripping and thoroughly cleaning all internal parts, followed by close examination for wear, hairline cracks etc. Cylinder heads are checked and tested for compression. Crankshafts and camshafts are measured, reprofiled or reground to the same tolerances as a new engine and balanced. The maximum amount of metal which will be removed is 0.020" and any part which cannot be reconditioned within this limit will be discarded and replaced, often by a brand new component. After assembly every engine is set up , balanced, and "run for thirty minutes under power" (according to Unipart) during which time it is subject to inspection and testing for oil pressure, power output, smoothness of running and noise levels.

I have already referred to the greater availability of used parts for slightly older engines and the lower percentage of new parts used in Silver Seal engines. This is not to say that Silver Seal engines are in any sense a second class product. The same standards apply to both types of engine but in achieving those standards several engines may be stripped to provide parts which are capable of being reconditioned for a Silver Seal engines whereas fewer engines are available from vehicles up to five years old. Unipart aims to offer the same high standard in Silver Seal replacement engines and gearboxes but to do so at a lower cost to the customer. Gold Seal engines come with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty, with Silver Seal the limits are 12 months or 12,000 miles. Both warranties state that if replacement or repair of the unit becomes necessary due to a manufacturing or material defect the unit will be replaced free of charge and the unexpected part of the original warranty will then apply.

In the day both Silver and Gold seal engines were widely regarded as being superior to standard production line units as the selective method of manufacture meant that you got an engine with closer tolerances, almost blueprinted in fact.
Minor-Bramsche
Minor Friendly

Post by Minor-Bramsche »

Thanks for the first answers - here are three more pics of my engine - maybe they can help?

:roll: Dirk[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - it IS a 1098 cc Overhead Valve BMC A Series engine - and as others have explained - is a factory reconditioned engine. Your 1954 car could not of course have originally had this type of engine - since they were only introduced in 1963. I have to say your 'Data Plate' looks very clumsy and crude - perhaps 'home made' ?? Is it the original plate for the car ? Can we see some pictures of the car please?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The chassis plate is in German but the car designation FAA (11) is home market. Export market should be 12 (RHD) or 13 (LHD)
[sig]3580[/sig]
Minor-Bramsche
Minor Friendly

Post by Minor-Bramsche »

Here is the third plate from the engine bay

Thanks for your answers ... maybe it can help ... the next probs will make the disc Brakes from ESM (i think Ford parts) no entry in the documents - no TÜV - no driving

regards
Dirk

:cry:[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Again - that plate looks suspiciously 'new' and crudely typed.. can we see pictures of the CAR please!! If the disc brakes are a problem - take them off and fit 8" drums. On that age car they should really be 7" drums - but surely you will get away with the later 8" drums on the front. You don't need discs anyway!
ImageImage
rotgnom
Minor Friendly

Post by rotgnom »

Hallo Dirk,

If TÜV doesn't like your disk brakes, I can offer a set of those 8'' drum brakes (Wolseley 1500 drums and back plates, new Morris cylinders and new TR7 linings) that BMC suggested. Just let me know.

I've got the same setting - no prob. :D Ich habe die gleiche Bremse in meinem Morris montiert und der TÜV macht keine Probleme. :wink:

Grüße aus Essen
Achim
This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!!!
But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Wolseley front drums are 9 in. 1098 drums are 8 in
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Wolseley 9" brakes are even better!! But 8" brakes (as fitted to 1098 engined Minors) are perfectly satisfactory for a standard engined car.
ImageImage
Minor-Bramsche
Minor Friendly

Post by Minor-Bramsche »

Here are some pics i hope thats what you like to see. :lol:
Thanks to everyone ...

Greetz
Dirk

Danke @ Achim - melde mich - muss noch etwas zuvor klären. :roll:

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

:o
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Lovely car :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Good photo of the extra German I.D. plate, that explains my question about export market code
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks grand (apart from the dangerous/naff headlamp peaks..) - it clearly is what it says it is - just fitted with a much later 1098 engine. Just change the brakes back to drums, and I don't see a problem. Will they even pick up on the discs as not being correct for the age of the vehicle? Surely 'safety improvements' are allowed ?? Is there an annual inspection - or is this just a one-off to get it registered ?
ImageImage
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

My experience with the tuv is that any changes from the original spec need to be certified to confirm they are engineered properly and safe (imho not a bad idea), Its quite expensive and not something you would easily do on a one off basis though.
Minor-Bramsche
Minor Friendly

Post by Minor-Bramsche »

Thanks to everybody!!

I think about it to change back to drums für the TÜV and the historical Number Plate :wink:
Is it a lot of work doing this? ok ...

Whith my engine and my newly fixed towbar from Watlings i got to the TÜV - and with the brakes i´ll do it as the next step.

Achim please send me a PM with your german contact
Bye
Dirk
rotgnom
Minor Friendly

Post by rotgnom »

Hallo Dirk.
just sent you a PM.
Achim
This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!!!
But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Juergen
Minor Friendly

Post by Juergen »

Hi Dirk,

just wanted to say that I did not have any trouble at all getting the H-plate with disc brakes. But - to be honest - I found out that the guys at the TÜV have no common view on what is still "historic". So perhaps just change your TÜV-base and it could be fine.