Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ieuan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Soudproofing my Minor

Post by Ieuan »

After much deliberation, I decided to soundproof my Minor a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it with you all.

In total it cost me £91, which included two packs of this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-Coat-S ... 5d4e7bd477 and a small paint roller from Poundland. I used all 42 square feet of the stuff and lined my doors, bootlid, floors, bulkhead and absolutely every panel I could get to.

It was totally worth the few days worth of effort, stripping out the interior and carpets, hoovering, cutting and roller-ing (and the £91!). I'd been considering soundproofing it for months and had looked at all sorts of websites/guides/any info I could find and came to the conclusion that I'd be better off doing it than not, which was completely the right decision. This also lead me to choose the 2mm Silentcoat stuff that I used, as it had good reviews and was far cheaper than Dynamat etc. Originally I order only one pack but soon realised I'd need two, but they delivered within 24hrs both times. I have since discovered I could have saved a tenner and bought a bulk pack for £80 instead of two smaller packs for £90. Doh!

My floor and all the metal I covered with this soundproofing was (finally!) free of rust, but I did leave gaps around most of the soundproofing panels just so I could keep an eye any rust that wanted to pay a visit. You only need approx 50% coverage with this type of soundproofing apparently anyway, so If anything I have actually used too much of the stuff.

Before laying it down, I had to remove a rather half hearted attempt to soundproof it previously. This was a slab of bitumen under the front seats, but this was quickly dispatched with a chisel, hammer and some heat. Once this was done I hoovered and used panel wipe on whichever surface was getting covered as I went. When applying it, because I was doing it in a cold garage in January I did warm the soundproofing panels with a hairdryer just so they stuck down better, as the packaging says not to apply below 10 degrees C. Applying them was quick and easy, and once gone over with a roller, they were stuck down good and proper, even to panels that were upside down. They were easy to cut to shape with a stanley knife too but the aluminium foil on the top layer of the soundproofing is aggresively sharp and I did manage to cut myself a few times. So if you do ever soundproof your own car, be careful!!

It took two and a half days in total, including tea breaks, ordering a second pack of the stuff, naps etc etc. So if you had all the materials to hand, from stripping out the interior to putting it back in again soundproofed I recon it could probably be done in about 12 hours.

The difference it has made to my car is astonishing!! 30mph is virtually silent and you can go along the motorway at 60 all day long without feeling like your ears are going to bleed. The doors sound far more solid and shut with a definite thud rather than clang, and it just feels more solid as there are now no rattles, booms or anything of that sort. My car didn't have any soundproofing or horsehair matting under the carpets to begin with (apart from the aforementioned lumps of bitumen) so this is probably why it made such a difference. I'm probably going to get rid of my daily driver, and use this as my only car soon too, which I think was the final push that led me to doing this.

I'm not affiliated with them or anything like that, I just wanted to share with you what I've done. If you're considering soundproofing your car, it's absolutely worth it. Best of all, I can still hear the exhaust "parping" :D

Didn't take many pictures, but you'll get the idea[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Soudproofing my Minor

Post by panky »

Thanks for that, I'll be doing something similar soon with different products - it will be interesting to compare results.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I thought it was a spaceship :lol:
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

Did you put any under the bonnet?
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
Ieuan
Minor Friendly

Post by Ieuan »

irmscher wrote:I thought it was a spaceship :lol:
It is, but don't tell anyone...
Bidz wrote:Did you put any under the bonnet?
Nope but that's next on my to do list. If I'd had any spare at the end I would have done
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thanks for that! And the link to the supplier. I'm going down that path too, soon. I'm surprised and impressed that the "reduced" cover you've done still performed so well. That's encouraging.
MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

heavy plastic on the doors before u cover with the door cards on work well

Ieuan
Minor Friendly

Post by Ieuan »

MikeNash wrote:Thanks for that! And the link to the supplier. I'm going down that path too, soon. I'm surprised and impressed that the "reduced" cover you've done still performed so well. That's encouraging.
MikeN.
The bit that made the most difference was the boot/petrol tank area, despite the fact I used it sparingly in this area. Just by tapping on the panels you could tell how reduced the vibrations were.
faversham999 wrote:heavy plastic on the doors before u cover with the door cards on work well
Haven't thought of that, will give it a go next time I have the doorcards off for any reason
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago, but with less material. I used a single 30 sheet pack of Silent Coat 2mm focussed around the front wheel-arches, bulkhead, gearbox tunnel and the floor. I've read in a fair number of places that 20% panel coverage is enough for a significant difference (and one should be careful that you're not creating moisture traps).

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/bvJtN56.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily say that the volume has been dramatically reduced, if you measured it might be the same decibel level, but it lowers the tone of the vibration of the whole car. Thanks to the way we perceive tone and volume, it makes the noise seem less. I do plan to use a couple of their "starter packs" to do the two front doors, and get ESM/Newton's bonnet pad.

Now I have the problem of whistling draughts - I just can't my doors to seal well...
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Ieuan
Minor Friendly

Post by Ieuan »

Monty-4 wrote:I did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago, but with less material. I used a single 30 sheet pack of Silent Coat 2mm focussed around the front wheel-arches, bulkhead, gearbox tunnel and the floor. I've read in a fair number of places that 20% panel coverage is enough for a significant difference (and one should be careful that you're not creating moisture traps).

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/bvJtN56.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily say that the volume has been dramatically reduced, if you measured it might be the same decibel level, but it lowers the tone of the vibration of the whole car. Thanks to the way we perceive tone and volume, it makes the noise seem less. I do plan to use a couple of their "starter packs" to do the two front doors, and get ESM/Newton's bonnet pad.

Now I have the problem of whistling draughts - I just can't my doors to seal well...
Yeah, you're essentially "mass loading" the panels therefore they weigh more therefore the resonant frequency is far lower. The whistling doors problem has been picked up by me too now, couldn't notice it before... Keeps me busy anyway :D
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Next project: Double-glazed windows?
Gabriel
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I've made a start on Ted using this stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111550371102? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Being a traveller I decided to work from the back on all the flat panels and under floor.[frame]Image[/frame]
Tank top
[frame]Image[/frame]

Basically I stuck the stuff to every surface that it could be stuck to.

Then I moved onto the doors[frame]Image[/frame]

And under the bonnet[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I used a heat gun to get it warm and it sticks like the proverbial to the blanket. Not as dramatic a change as I hoped but definitely quieter, the doors made the biggest difference no rattles now and sound a lot more solid when they close.
I haven't done the floor yet as I'm waiting for some pads of a different kind to try them out.
I used all the 10 pads and at under £20 I think it was well worth the effort but maybe it's not as efficient as the stuff Ieuan used.
Ieuan
Minor Friendly

Post by Ieuan »

panky wrote: Not as dramatic a change as I hoped but definitely quieter, the doors made the biggest difference no rattles now and sound a lot more solid when they close.
I haven't done the floor yet as I'm waiting for some pads of a different kind to try them out.
I used all the 10 pads and at under £20 I think it was well worth the effort but maybe it's not as efficient as the stuff Ieuan used.
Wish I'd spotted that stuff for £20.... My doors made a massive difference once I'd done them too, I even filmed the noise the door made before and after. The whole car feels more "solid". I've had passengers comment on the difference, even when they don't know that I've done it.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Definitely good value - 10 sheets for £20 is brilliant, will order a couple of packs to go with my ESM bonnet pad. :D