Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndyPandy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1958 morris 1000 tool kit

Post by AndyPandy »

[Can anyone help I am trying to find what the original tool kit contained that was supplied with 1958 Morris 1000.
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1958 morris 1000 tool kit

Post by qwerty165 »

taken from Original Morris Minor by Ray Newell, page 68
Original Morris Minor wrote:Up to car number 848240, the following items were supplied in a canvas tool roll: starting handle/wheelbrace, triangular type jack, hupcap remover, small tyre lever, tommy bar, plug spanner, screwdriver, tyre valve spanner, tappet feeler gauge, distributer screwdriver and gauge, feeler gauge set, axle drain plug key, grease gun and tyre pump. From car number 848241, the following items provided a much-reduced tool kit in a black plastic tool bag with matching ties: starting handle/wheel brace, triangular type jack, hupcap remover, tommy bar, small tyre lever and plug spanner.
Hope this proves useful.

AndyPandy
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyPandy »

qwerty165 wrote:taken from Original Morris Minor by Ray Newell, page 68
Original Morris Minor wrote:Up to car number 848240, the following items were supplied in a canvas tool roll: starting handle/wheelbrace, triangular type jack, hupcap remover, small tyre lever, tommy bar, plug spanner, screwdriver, tyre valve spanner, tappet feeler gauge, distributer screwdriver and gauge, feeler gauge set, axle drain plug key, grease gun and tyre pump. From car number 848241, the following items provided a much-reduced tool kit in a black plastic tool bag with matching ties: starting handle/wheel brace, triangular type jack, hupcap remover, tommy bar, small tyre lever and plug spanner.
Hope this proves useful.
Thanks It was the later model , have been told spanners came with kit some say Whitworth others A/F also the make.
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

AndyPandy wrote: have been told spanners came with kit some say Whitworth others A/F also the make.
Also from Original Morris Minor by Ray Newell pg.68:
Original Morris Minor wrote: A supplementary tool kit available from main dealers, contained the following items: four doubleended spanners: (5/16in x 3/8in AF, 7/16in x 1/2in AF, 9/16in x 5/8in AF, 11/16in x 3/4in AF, an adjustable 7in spanner, a tubular spanner (1/2in x 9/16in AF), a tommy bar (3/8in diameter), 6in pliers and a cross-headed screwdriver
So these are most likely the spanners you have been told about.

brett
Minor Friendly

Post by brett »

They came with tool kits ? !!
I've got a horrible feeling they're going to be expensive, how hard are they to find ?
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Our 1958 has the plastic tool roll, and as far as I know this was the original supply - it has been in my family since early 1965! It only has the starting handle/wheel brace and jack to use with the original jacking points.

I also have a supplementary tool roll (picture below) and they are AF spanners ranging from 3/8"AF to 13/16"AF. I doubt if BSF/BSW spanners would have been supplied as they will only fit the body fixings, the 'mechanical' fixings are UNF/UNC threads, so 'AF' spanners. Also in this roll are the plug spanner and tommy bar for it.
[frame]Image[/frame]
The main roll could have had more originally, but I wonder if the combination of what is there now and the supplementary roll is what was supplied?
Richard

AndyPandy
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyPandy »

Thanks for all replies to my request
Regards AndyPandy