Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
poplars
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Seats - more photos

Post by poplars »

Well I thought I would share this photo. A bit of new foam and they are better padded. Have got leather feed on order to at least get what leather is left back into better condition; some leather off cuts for patching, and obviously some leather glue. Watch this space.[frame]Image[/frame]
RichardLewis
Minor Friendly

Re: Seats - more photos

Post by RichardLewis »

Try the local thrift shop for leather coats, worked for a club member.good luck.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I Kmow where they would be going if they were mine.
poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

kennatt wrote:I Kmow where they would be going if they were mine.
Each to their own.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I'd buy some of this fabric http://www.martrim.co.uk/catalogue/vini ... loths.html and carefully copy the original seat pattern using the new fabric to replace the missing areas That way you keep as much of the original seats as possible.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

Im thinking of putting the new material under the old once the old has been fed etc etc.

Thanks for the link... what colour do you reckon out of all those choice?

Looking a bit better with hessian on top of the new foam now.[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have to say you are a 'tryer' - but these seat covers have had their day.... :roll:
ImageImage
poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

No way! I'm keeping what's left of them! 60 yrs of bums on them isn't nearly enough to give Up! :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I made up some seat covers from a tartan blanket with vinyl backs. This sort of cover was offered when they were new, its made the best of bad seats until I get the better covers I have fitted sometime! I will take a pic tomorrow.

Too many Minors so little time.....
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

When I say I know where they would be going if they were mine,is based on expirience of trying to save leather seats on at least two other cars.both in a LOT better condition.
The problem is that once they reach a certain state ,no amount of feed or conditioner will revive them,I found that,trying to stich the old leather just caused the stitching to rip through the old leather as soon as it was put under strain.
Old leather coat material,yes tried that,its too soft for seating,.
On one,an MGA,I could simply tear the leather like paper.I suspect yours is the same.
Tried the glue,same result the leather just split further up the panel. You would be better fitting different seats and waiting to find good secondhand leathers,they do come up now and again ,
I did consider at one statge of buying and old leather settee,and using that to refurb one of mine,but it is a lot of work,unless you have good upholstery skills, But as said, each to their own. Good luck with it
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Whilst I admire your optimism poplars I think it will be fruitless.I think you would be better off listening to those who have been through what you're trying to do and find a better alternative.
poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

I hear what you all say. However I am going to proceed as planned. IYes I have a professional upholsterer in the family who used to work in the furniture industry whon undouteddly could make me some covers. And of course I could go out and pay to have them both done straight away. OR..... I could have some fun doing what I'm doing.

I'm not stitching nor indeed using old coats, and undone mind if I see some splitting as the new material will be underneath the old. I want to keep the old looking leather as it looks nice and worn. I'm not looking for a nice new leather seat. That can be easily solved by splashing some cash. Could be wrong.... But I will have some fun doing it. :D
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

I know how you feel, the old leather looks the part over the new stuff. Keep us posted. need to do mine soon :P

alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Its called patina :) In some classic cars circles its actively encouraged!
Glad to be back!
poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

I don't doubt for one minute that the seats in many eyes are shot.. but the backs are pretty sound but look v worn the back seats the same.. so new looking bottoms for the front seats, or indeed covers just would look funny to me. Alternative (which down the line may happen) is it all gets replaced. But not just yet.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

LOL does patina fit this:

Patina (/ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a thin layer that variously forms on the surface of stone; on copper, bronze and similar metals (tarnish produced by oxidation or other chemical processes);[1] on wooden furniture (sheen produced by age, wear, and polishing); or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective covering to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing.
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

[quote="tysonn"] or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. [quote]

Yep, thats the one :)
Glad to be back!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Have you asked for the opinion of your upholstery relation on the feasibility of renovation? His/her opinion may be useful.

poplars
Minor Fan

Post by poplars »

Nope.. She would want to do me full covers and Im not doing that ;o) Though I know she would make me some cool ones. :wink

I think people are assuming Im wanting some perfect looking things. I think they look cool with just the hessian underneath as per one of my photos. Except I am actually going to have leather underneath all the split, and then glue the old split leather (still split apart) on top That's how I'd like them to look.
RichardLewis
Minor Friendly

Post by RichardLewis »

Sounds fine to me,go for it . Have fun now restore later.Let us know how you make out,good luck. :D