Clutch problems

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CHRIS SAUNDERS
MMOC Member: No

Clutch problems

Post by CHRIS SAUNDERS »

I have had my 67 morris out of use for 9 months and after getting it started, I find that the clutch will not engage to allow it to be it be put in gear. Does this mean a new clutch, or is there another course of action?
All was ok 9 months ago, so can anyone advise.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Clutch problems

Post by aupickup »

prob just stuck on
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - the clutch is engaged - it just won't DIS-engage....is that the problem? If so start the engine and leave it to idle until it reaches full working temperature - and then another 15 minutes - to let the heat soak through into the clutch. That may be enough to do it. If not - wheel the car outside, park it with nothing in front, engage 1st gear, handbrake off - foot hard down on the clutch pedal and crank the engine with the ignition on - which should break the plate away from the flywheel. Just be ready in case the car drives off !!
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

We had to free a clutch a few weeks ago on my friends van which had only been parked up about 4 months but was stuck solid. In addition to what BMC has said we put in in 4th and pushed it while it was warm and I think the rocking action of pushing helped to free it as well as the next time we tried to put it in gear it slipped in easily.

Too many Minors so little time.....
bigjim
Minor Friendly

Post by bigjim »

if warming it up doesnt work start up in gear and drive off holding clutch down and accelerating and decelerating then apply brakes this should break clutch free
CHRIS SAUNDERS

Post by CHRIS SAUNDERS »

Thanks for all the advice,
Cranking the engine in first gear with the ignition on and clutch pressed down did the trick.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good news ! In future - don't leave it so long without starting the engine and move the car back and forth..... OR -some folks wedge the clutch pedal down with a pole when parking up over winter. And of course - leave the handbrake OFF!
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I have an idea.... Why not assemble the clutch with loads of grease on the various surfaces, that should stop it sticking :-? Ah, now wait a minute, chaps, I have another idea... :roll: :roll: