Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Garry Beckett
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rewire Question

Post by Garry Beckett »

Hi All, I'm just in the process of putting a complete new wiring harness in my sons 65 2 door as it was quicker than trying to figure out all the faults & modifications that have been hacked into it over the years!!! The regulator box has been removed at some point (long ago by the looks of it) & all of the wires to it joined together as if to bypass it... the car has an alternator fitted... Our question is: Do we need to refit the regulator box, or was it bypassed & the wiring changed because an alternator is fitted... Many thanks in anticipation of a simple answer, as I hate wiring ha ah... Gazza
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Rewire Question

Post by mike.perry »

The control box is not necessary with an alternator, you should have bought a loom for an alternator which would not have all the spare wires
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - just use an alternator specific wiring harness. You certainly don't need to refit a Reg box.
ImageImage
Garry Beckett
Minor Friendly

Post by Garry Beckett »

Thanks for the replies all, music to my ears that I dont need to buy a reg box.. Wish I'd known there was an alternator specific harness before I purchased the regular one though!! Live & learn eh, but all good knowledge for when we do our next MM project :) Thanks again
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You can specify whatever you want in the wiring harness, reversing lights, hazards, rear fogs, switches, gauges etc
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Send it back and get the correct one...no point butchering up a brand new dynamo harness to fit to an alternator car!
ImageImage
Garry Beckett
Minor Friendly

Post by Garry Beckett »

It would be nice to send it back, but I bought it several weeks ago & as its now in situ (more or less) its not 'as new' so couldnt be put back on the shelf... Naively, or maybe just hopefully! I thought it would be a case of just fit it in, hook it up & away she'd go... Not the case at present :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It would have been - IF you had bought the correct loom! :roll:
ImageImage
bigjim
Minor Friendly

Post by bigjim »

whereabouts are you it would help with offers of help from anyone local to you if you posted it in your profile
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Stick it in the for sale section and buy the correct loom from Speedy Cables, there may be other suppliers
[sig]3580[/sig]