BT Chester.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TFM150K
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

BT Chester.

Post by TFM150K »

Anyone live in Chester and know about the BT buildings at Tower Wharf, please? What was there in the early 1970s and what is still there? TFM 150K is a Post Office Engineers van which started off life there and I would like any information I can find as to its early history - and if there is still a workshop or exchange there it would be nice to get some photos maybe? I gather that part (at least) of the old BT buildings have been demolished and that the area is being developed. Any info would be much appreciated!
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Re: BT Chester.

Post by Tiny »

You Could try http://www.samknows.com
Should be able to do a Broadband availibility then choose exchange search, That Lists most of the BT Exchanges and their postcodes, might help
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

OK, I got curious.... The BT Building appears to have been demolished and turned into Fancy Appartments
http://www.chesterwalls.info/towerwharf.html
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Typical - demolishing my van's history to build winebars and fancy apartmentos!
Thankyou, Tiny, at least this gets me started. Your first link brought me up three Exchanges in Chester which I will try to follow up (problem is they are Chester N, S and central and it doesn't follow as to which area they cover = research. The chesterwalls link gives me a bit of hope 'cos although it says early on that "certainly nobody sorry to see demolition of ugly and derelict BT office block..." it goes on to say (below the "hulk" photo) that "no decision on BT Exchange building seen on photo above" - presumably referring to the photo of persons sitting out at tables and chairs having a bevvy or two by the cut.
Detective work commences - in the meantime if anyone frequents the area, please get in touch! Ta!
:roll:
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I tried to trace where my old work bench used to sit, with the help of old maps etc, after the building was knocked down. Not easy unless you have the co-ordinates. There's a b&q situated on the site now, I think I stood where the gardening section ends. Good luck with your mission!

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Are you sure your work-bench isn't in that green wheelie-bin?
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

You Might get Lucky here...
I Google Mapped Tower Wharf Chester, and it looks like the Photo was taken whilst they were still building Ghastly Appartments & Wine Bars... There appears to be an Old Telephone Exchange looking Building in the middle of the site... Its the Old brick building with the Cell masts on the roof and iron cages on the windows to stop the engineers escaping
I Might be wrong, but it could be a start towards tracing your Van's history
Doesnt look big enough to be a trunk exchange, maybe a local exchange, but who knows how the building has grown or shrunk over the years (or if it is even a telphone exchange for that matter)... certainly Modern equipment takes up considerably less footprint than old strowger kit did back in the day when your Moggie van was doing the rounds.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

The oldest surviving GPO Engineers' van operated for
TM CHESTER & NORTH WALES too!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ben_sH
Minor Friendly

Post by ben_sH »

I tend to frequent the drinking establishment opposite. I'm not sure what the long term plans are, but the BT building's still there at the moment.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

There is hope for me yet - could you tell me what road the BT building is on please? I am passing Chester mid-April on my way to Anglesey race circuit and will use TFM and divert for photos if possible - I understand it is not far from Telford's Warehouse - is that easy to locate?
:lol:
ben_sH
Minor Friendly

Post by ben_sH »

It's on Raymond Street. Easiest way to get there would be to get onto the A494 towards Queensferry, split off for Chester on the A548. Along Sealand Road, into town past the retail parks and car showrooms, then go left onto S. View Road, over the canal bridge and round the corner. You can't miss it, the entrance to the BT car park is just on your right as you go down the hill towards Telfords and the canal. When done you can retrace your steps back to the A494 which turns into the A55 by the Mold turn off.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.193606,-2.8976258,17z
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Thanks very much! Anglesey via Chester mid April - better put a spare set of points and a condensor in the back NOW (before I forget) - don't suppose the AA carry them these days! Better prepared than on a recovery truck!
:roll: :wink: :lol: :o :) :D